Logo

New boat owner have some questions

Jakesmells

I just bought a 1991 Harris Kayot 24 foot pontoon. It the first boat I have owned.
The motor is a 50HP 1991 Evinrude outboard with manual tilt.

I changed the plugs and noticed a wire disconnected in the engine. I hooked it up. A few days later we put the boat in the water and the alarm wouldn't stop screaming. All forums pointed to the low oil alarm so i topped the tank and the alarm kept scraming. We pulled the boat from the water incase something was wrong. I finally got a around to tinkering today. When I pulled the cowling off I remembered reconnecting a wire. It was a red lead that went back to the oil tank. I disconnected the wire and the alarm stopped. Im guessing it was disconnected because the low oil sensor has an issue. Should I replace the sensor or just keep an eye on the oil tank?

Second problem... happened same day. The ramp we launched at has a big dip where the road meets the concrete. While pulling the boat out the trailer bounced and broke the tilt lever that holds the motor up. How do i figure out the right part number for this? the part number is right where it broke off. The motor model is VE50BELEIA. Im pretty good at fixing things but have 0 outboard experience so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Welcome. That low oil alarm can be repaired with a new or used sending unit......I will look here. The tilt locks are very expensive new. Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN at 2186822331. They should have something used.

Back