Logo

New boat oil leakā€¦šŸ¤¬

Just bought my first inboard boat. 95 maxum 2000 sr with a 5.0 alpha one gen 2. Sat in the driveway over night and found an oil spot. Seems to be between the lower and upper portion of the outdrive. I work with my hands but letā€™s say these terms im using is because Iā€™ve been scrambling and search forums / online for two days trying to figure out did I get hosed on this purchase, how much could this cost, can I do it myself, why freaking manual goes with this boat, I guess I need an engine manual not a boat manualā€¦. Etc etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if the leak is recognized, can I still put it on the water until I can fix it ?

3154F2F7-0223-4721-9B2B-F3DF0778AD34.jpeg

If it is coming down from the shift arm in the gimbal housing, You may have a upper gear case carrier seal leak.

If you pull outdrive off boat and the Ujoint bellows is full of gear oil the that is your problem-upper carrier seal

If it is coming down from the shift arm in the gimbal housing, You may have a upper gear case carrier seal leak.

If you pull outdrive off boat and the Ujoint bellows is full of gear oil the that is your problem-upper carrier seal
Could I drive it a time or two before tearing down? Someone mentioned water could get in there and ruin things . We just bought reason I ask. Havenā€™t Even drove it yet lol

Its your boat.
I would have a professional look at it and if it is what I have suggssted the seller has to pay for it unless u bought it as is...

If its gear oil you have to ask, whats left in the outdrive.
You have a remote resevoir at engine for outddive gear oil. What is the level?
Small plastic square bottle with black cap

Your losing gear oil, lose enough and you seize the drive. If the bellow is also leaking water, it will enter the drive and damage it also

Your losing gear oil, lose enough and you seize the drive. If the bellow is also leaking water, it will enter the drive and damage it also
Thank you .

Are the shaft seals not in the lower part entering the drive? This leak comes from the shift shafts L connection to I guess the shift cable or rod in the upper housing but I think that part of the housing is just an open cavity seperate from the drive. Thereā€™s an opening in the housing just as the rod enters the upper saying to me this at least right here is an open area.

Thank you .

Are the shaft seals not in the lower part entering the drive? This leak comes from the shift shafts L connection to I guess the shift cable or rod in the upper housing but I think that part of the housing is just an open cavity seperate from the drive. Thereā€™s an opening in the housing just as the rod enters the upper saying to me this at least right here is an open area.
Ayuh,..... Both the upper, 'n lower gear cases hold oil,.... but yes, there is a water / air space in the middle, 'n an oil passage in-between,....

As noted, fix it, or roll the dice,.... it's yer boat,....

Its your boat.
I would have a professional look at it and if it is what I have suggssted the seller has to pay for it unless u bought it as is...

If its gear oil you have to ask, whats left in the outdrive.
You have a remote resevoir at engine for outddive gear oil. What is the level?
Small plastic square bottle with black cap
Took the boat out today after cleaning up the drip and trimming down over night. No visible leaking this morning. Ran great and we were out fro about 3 hrs. Didnā€™t notice much oil removed from the reservoir but I think some did. I kept checking it and finally saw the oil in the reservoir looked lighter. Would this indicate water in the drive oil? Lighter in color and a seeming separation at the bottomā€¦šŸ§

Took the boat out today after cleaning up the drip and trimming down over night. No visible leaking this morning. Ran great and we were out fro about 3 hrs. Didnā€™t notice much oil removed from the reservoir but I think some did. I kept checking it and finally saw the oil in the reservoir looked lighter. Would this indicate water in the drive oil? Lighter in color and a seeming separation at the bottomā€¦šŸ§
crack your drain plug in bottom of drive see what come out there. Hard to say if itā€™s water as we cant see it, but generally milky is evidence of water. First run of the year after changing gear lube some air gets purged from the drive into the bottle

Pulled the outdrive. Found blown out upper shift shaft seal was gone. I did not see oil in the bellows in the transom. Iā€™ll be replacing the seal and praying lol. I pressure tested the upper and lower unit together over night and it held. I rotated the union shaft and the lower shift shaft and the pressure held. That is until I pulled up on the lower shift shaft or put sideways tension on it. Is this something I should be concerned about? And will leak under normal operation? Water pump was changed last year but I donā€™t know if they resealed all components.

One more thing. There is an exhaust flapper behind the upper shift shaft that appears to have come loose. I noticed a dent in the shift shaft and the exhaust flapper had an identical damaged edge. I assume it came loose and slid down to the shaft and got hit while it was moving or some thing. Maybe slung with enough force to make contact with the shaft idk. So do I need to replace this flapper and or shaft? What does the flapper do?

7C07834B-113D-4E42-AE5D-565BEB632BFB.jpeg

Back