Logo

new alternator

loid58

Contributing Member
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but have a question. I'm getting a new alternator for my 72 318, question is;
my old one is a two wire external regulator. The new one is going to be a one wire internal regulator type, how do i hook it up? do i just connect the red wire to it and ignore the external regulator or is there something else to be done.

Exactly, but be sure to tape up any left over exposed wires.

Jeff

PS: You have to boot the motor some before the thing will start charging, so don't think there's something wrong with it.

I upgraded my last boat to the 1 wires and didn't like them, besides having to rev it up they would fall off line at low idle and didn't charge as good at idle as the old ones. We spend a lot of time at idle waiting for the locks and I would have to run the generator.

Dan

Agreed. I caution people who do a lot of dead slow speed running (like trolling) to avoid them. THEY need regular alternators.

Jeff

What about a allen wrench and a smaller pulley??? Say a diesel pulley.........HMMM.........Ground Breaking???!!!The grease is on fire ...lookout!!

well got it in and all seems well, at idle I have 13.5 volts and it goes up to 14.5 reved up. dont do any trolling or idle for long times so hopefully that wont be an issue

Your boat usage sounds like mine, and I'm not unhappy with them. The old voltage regulators were more trouble than they were worth.

Jeff

Back