Logo

Neutral only button issues

mercforme

I have a 1985 35HP merc with r

I have a 1985 35HP merc with remote control. The "neutral only" button is getting very reluctant to push in and disengage the shifter. I removed the unit from the boat and want to repair it over the winter. What is the usual culprit or what should I look for as I take it apart? Are parts available or is it better to try and find a used unit and just replace the whole thing? I do have a manual for it.
Thanks

"If you have a manual for it t

"If you have a manual for it try and take it apart, make sure nothing is in the way of the button, if needed oil the mechanisms in there and put it back together."

The manual mentions checking t

The manual mentions checking the neutral only shaft for stress fractures at certain locations. I asked the local Mercury dealer if he could get parts for this control because I have found other items are no longer available. No sense taking it apart if I can't replace anything. Merc dealer didn't sound optimistic about it either.

"I see numerous aftermarket co

"I see numerous aftermarket controls available. What type would work with this vintage? GenII? Will new cables be needed, does the starter and TnT wiring require adaptors?
Thanks"

"The center button is still av

"The center button is still available, I bought one 2 years ago. If your unit is the same as mine its a pain, ball bearings fall out and are tough to get back together. My dealer also printed a parts diagram for help. If I remember the button is red and the new ones are black."

Back