Logo

Need part 0986272 - Impeller Housing but its obsolete. Any suggestions?

swc65

Regular Contributor
I damaged the impeller housing on OMC King Cobra Stern Drive. The housing has a small hose barb on starboard side of housing which vents water to the lower part of the outdrive. The only ones I can find have the vent on the port side. Since the impeller acts as a positive displacement pump does it matter which side the vented barb is on. The housing is obsolete and I cant find it anywhere. Could I use something like the posted picture? I have included a pic of mine.

OMC 0986272.jpg

I damaged the impeller housing on OMC King Cobra Stern Drive. The housing has a small hose barb on starboard side of housing which vents water to the lower part of the outdrive. The only ones I can find have the vent on the port side. Since the impeller acts as a positive displacement pump does it matter which side the vented barb is on. The housing is obsolete and I cant find it anywhere. Could I use something like the posted picture? I have included a pic of mine.

View attachment 32609
I for got to upload picture of part number 984745 showing vent on the port side of the housing.
1716469866397.png

is what you have, the cone clutch King Cobra? Because there were models that were also called the King Cobra, that were actually still a standard dog clutch Cobra with some special feature (high output engine, thru the transom exhaust, etc).
if so, here's link to the parts, it looks like the water pump repair kit is NLA but most of the individual parts are still listed. Call Crowley and see if they are actually available. The only part of the whole impeller assembly that is not available, is the metal wear plate, those can be re-used, as long as they aren't scored. If they have the parts, I'd buy a few!
The one you posted just above this post looks like the standard dog clutch Cobra impeller, there's no way to know if it will fit and work right.
Other sources for obsolete OMC parts are Sea Way Marine in Washington State, NLA Marine parts, and Ebay.
It's too bad the parts are getting hard to find, I have a bunch of spares for my standard Cobra in my garage, wish I had a Mercruiser!

Agreed! I dont think it’s a cone clutch. If I understand correctly, I think the cone clutch has a bit of a hump on gear case, I do not. My exhaust is through prop

I ordered a kit off Amazon that should bolt up correctly but just not sure if having that barb on port side will work. As long as it pumps water, I would think it should work. From my service manual, looks like the barb feeds water to the prop hub to cool it.

My plan is to put a long hose on it and see if I get a strong stream of water when boat in water. It’s all I k ow to do at this point.

I found the one site you mentioned but they are sold out. So far no luck on eBay either. I’ll check those sources. Thank you!

You interested in selling one of your spares?

Back