Logo

Need part 0986272 - Impeller Housing but its obsolete. Any suggestions?

swc65

Regular Contributor
I damaged the impeller housing on OMC King Cobra Stern Drive. The housing has a small hose barb on starboard side of housing which vents water to the lower part of the outdrive. The only ones I can find have the vent on the port side. Since the impeller acts as a positive displacement pump does it matter which side the vented barb is on. The housing is obsolete and I cant find it anywhere. Could I use something like the posted picture? I have included a pic of mine.

OMC 0986272.jpg
 
I damaged the impeller housing on OMC King Cobra Stern Drive. The housing has a small hose barb on starboard side of housing which vents water to the lower part of the outdrive. The only ones I can find have the vent on the port side. Since the impeller acts as a positive displacement pump does it matter which side the vented barb is on. The housing is obsolete and I cant find it anywhere. Could I use something like the posted picture? I have included a pic of mine.

View attachment 32609
I for got to upload picture of part number 984745 showing vent on the port side of the housing.
1716469866397.png
 

is what you have, the cone clutch King Cobra? Because there were models that were also called the King Cobra, that were actually still a standard dog clutch Cobra with some special feature (high output engine, thru the transom exhaust, etc).
if so, here's link to the parts, it looks like the water pump repair kit is NLA but most of the individual parts are still listed. Call Crowley and see if they are actually available. The only part of the whole impeller assembly that is not available, is the metal wear plate, those can be re-used, as long as they aren't scored. If they have the parts, I'd buy a few!
The one you posted just above this post looks like the standard dog clutch Cobra impeller, there's no way to know if it will fit and work right.
Other sources for obsolete OMC parts are Sea Way Marine in Washington State, NLA Marine parts, and Ebay.
It's too bad the parts are getting hard to find, I have a bunch of spares for my standard Cobra in my garage, wish I had a Mercruiser!
 
Agreed! I dont think it’s a cone clutch. If I understand correctly, I think the cone clutch has a bit of a hump on gear case, I do not. My exhaust is through prop

I ordered a kit off Amazon that should bolt up correctly but just not sure if having that barb on port side will work. As long as it pumps water, I would think it should work. From my service manual, looks like the barb feeds water to the prop hub to cool it.

My plan is to put a long hose on it and see if I get a strong stream of water when boat in water. It’s all I k ow to do at this point.

I found the one site you mentioned but they are sold out. So far no luck on eBay either. I’ll check those sources. Thank you!

You interested in selling one of your spares?
 
I have the same issue. I have a 92 Four Winn 225 Sundowner with a 5.8 and King Cobra outdrive. I cracked the housing were it bolts to the transom. I was able to locate and purchase a 91 King Cobra. Make sure that you identify what model you have because the impeller assemblies are bigger on the 92 than the 91. You have the housing for the pre 92 King Cobra. I found out the hard way thinking they were the same size and discovered that they are not. The 986272 is smaller that what is available on most websites. If anyone can assist that would be greatly appreciated.
 
I have the same issue. I have a 92 Four Winn 225 Sundowner with a 5.8 and King Cobra outdrive. I cracked the housing were it bolts to the transom. I was able to locate and purchase a 91 King Cobra. Make sure that you identify what model you have because the impeller assemblies are bigger on the 92 than the 91. You have the housing for the pre 92 King Cobra. I found out the hard way thinking they were the same size and discovered that they are not. The 986272 is smaller that what is available on most websites. If anyone can assist that would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same issue. I have a 92 Four Winn 225 Sundowner with a 5.8 and King Cobra outdrive. I cracked the housing were it bolts to the transom. I was able to locate and purchase a 91 King Cobra. Make sure that you identify what model you have because the impeller assemblies are bigger on the 92 than the 91. You have the housing for the pre 92 King Cobra. I found out the hard way thinking they were the same size and discovered that they are not. The 986272 is smaller that what is available on most websites. If anyone can assist that would be greatly appreciated.
 
I have the same issue. I have a 92 Four Winn 225 Sundowner with a 5.8 and King Cobra outdrive. I cracked the housing were it bolts to the transom. I was able to locate and purchase a 91 King Cobra. Make sure that you identify what model you have because the impeller assemblies are bigger on the 92 than the 91. You have the housing for the pre 92 King Cobra. I found out the hard way thinking they were the same size and discovered that they are not. The 986272 is smaller that what is available on most websites. If anyone can assist that would be greatly appreciated.
I am a new member on this forum, so i guess i replied wrong the first time, sorry for the 1st reply.
3 years ago I had this same issue, the cage spun in the original housing. I just saw today that my boat was getting up in the 200 degree range while heading back, so I knew it was time again. Started looking for parts and of course, this housing is still not availible, and I came across this forum with others having the same issue, and the thread isn't 10 years old!! I'll tell you what I did last time, use this advice at your own discretion, it may not be the right way to do it, however, when you're SOL, you'll take anything that will work, and i did it when you could only find $200 kits, now that theyre about $60-$80 and reproduced, ill do it as many times as needed. I am getting ready to do it again, so from what I remember, I bought a 92-95 KC water pump kit with housing to see the difference. I found that the 2 top bolt holes line up with the new housing but the bottom is off by a bit, it could have been worse, and not even been close, so I figured with this fortune, I could modify it. So, I decided that I didn't really have a choice and I Drilled/wollard out the bottom hole to get the bolt to line up, then I used some RTV and a sealing washer on the bolt to take up the space in the now oval bolt hole and get it to seal. This time around, I will probably use some water weld instead of RTV. It will probably be disagreed upon that this should be done, but what else are we to do if they never reproduce the housing? It worked solidly for 3 years, so I'll do it again, as many times as needed, otherwise, we are screwed.
I'll try to take pics as I go this time just in case any one needs an example, but I need to wait for parts to show up first. Good luck, gentlemen.
 
As long as there is no water leaking around the impeller housing when you run it on the water hose that’s the best solution unless someone like Sierra or GLM starts making that part again. The other possible option is to use an impeller that fits into the crankshaft pulley like some Volvos or other inboards and use a through the hull water pickup.
 
As long as there is no water leaking around the impeller housing when you run it on the water hose that’s the best solution unless someone like Sierra or GLM starts making that part again. The other possible option is to use an impeller that fits into the crankshaft pulley like some Volvos or other inboards and use a through the hull water pickup.
There wasn't, until the cup spun again, giving me a small hole in the housing.
Just as suspected, impeller cage/impeller issue. I always make sure this thing is in the water fully or that the water is flowing from the hose, but oh well.
I got pics, but I'll have to resize to post.
 
It’s too bad that some OMC parts are hard to find now, I have had very good luck with my 4.3/V6 Cobra. The parts for the regular dog clutch Cobras aren’t that hard to find. The most recent repair I had to do was rebuilding the trim rams (there’s a kit for that sold by BRP), pretty easy job as long as the end caps come off. I had to replace the pistons & rods from a used pair of cyls I bought because mine were getting really corroded & pitted from salt water use. Still they lasted 35 years!
In your case I’d seriously investigate converting to an inboard style impeller. If you have a GM engine it shouid be a pretty easy conversion.
 
PS if the cup is spinning you’re probably not getting enough water flow to the impeller. Causes can be bad water tube grommets inside the drive (these can get weakened by a bad overheat) or lousy fitting muffs. I have had the best luck with the circular Merc/Quicksilver ones with the metal clamp that can’t fall off. I’ve had that happen a few times one time was lousy muffs the other was I trimmed it up too high pulling the boat out once.
 
Back
Top