Logo

Need Info - opportunity to pick up a Volvo Penta Intermediate, and leg

corsair23

Regular Contributor
I usually frequent another Forum on here but have a question.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Volvo Penta Intermediate, and leg at a really good price. The Boat that the drive is on is a burned-out hull. The Boat is a 88 Bayliner Avanti. I think its a 25 footer, or so. The engine is gone, but the drive is still good. I've been told it had a small block Chevy. I don't know whether it had a 305, or a 350. I may be able to find that out. I THINK Avantis came with either.

Does anyone know what Drive this would be? Where would I look to find out which drive it is?

I'm thinking of acquiring it to re-power another Boat. The Boat would have the Transom filled in . Theres an OMC on it now that still performs perfectly, but I'm looking to the future if this powerplant gives out.

Volvo Pentas are , I think, easier to get replacement parts for.

Thanks for all replys.

Re: Need Info

just guessing but the year points to a 270 or 280 leg, you don't say wither it is a dual or single prop, duel would make it a 280 single would be either.

Thanks for the reply!! Its a Single Prop. I don't know if they even made a dual prop way back then.

Is there a difference in the Intermediate, when going between the 305 to the 350 ?? Or will that Intermediate fit both?

Scott

Gear ration change is in the lower end. You can pull the rear zinc to see the ratio stamped on the lower bearing carrier. But yes, 305 and 350 would be the same gear ratio and intermediate and lower ends would be the same. If the gearbox is missing, I'd be really carefull and make sure there is no water in the lower end. Steel bearings and gears don't like sitting in water for very long.

The Boat has been out of the water for quite some time. You referred to the " Gear Box ". Where is this located? Are you talking about the Leg in general, or is it elsewhere. I really have no knowledge of VPs, so bear with me.
All I have to do to remove both the Intermediate, and leg is the use of a chain saw on the transom. The Boat is junk. The fire did NOT hit the transom, and the Boat did NOT sink.

Scott

Scott, by 1987, most all Bayliners were OMC. Only those that were custom ordered would have been Volvo Penta. I've only seen or heard of a hand full of them after 1986 that were Volvo Penta!
The 1988 Bayliner Avanti may have undergone an OMC-to-Volvo Penta conversion, which eventually became popular. If the Avanti had a conversion, the transom unit would very likely have the OMC logo on it. If OEM Volvo Penta, it would have the Volvo Penta logo on it.
So, this needs to be determined first.
Could have been a custom ordered Avanti with the Volvo Penta 290 single prop drive.

FYI, Volvo Penta introduced the 280 in the late 70's, and the Duo Prop in 1983 as the "280 Duo Prop". This, and all that followed up to the SX/DP-S drives, are considered AQ series drives.
images

If this boat has an AQ series drive, the main components are; Transom Shield & Suspension Fork, Transmission (upper gear unit), Intermediate Housing, and lower unit. These are non-Gimbaled drives (i.e., no Gimbal Ring, no Gimbal Bearing)
These are a three pc drive (i.e., transmission, Intermediate and lower unit)
Here is what a 290 would look like. The Duo Prop would look similar.
290.jpg

Scott....., here is what the next generation V/P SX would look like.
This is the Volvo Penta SX drive that works as the OMC-to-Volvo Penta Conversion Drive.
The DP-S would look very similar.
VP-SX-125.jpg

The SX and DP-S are a two pc drives, and are Gimbal Ring suspension.

NO....., no difference in appearance between the 5.0L and the 5.7L as for the Transom unit or the drive. Ratio changes may occur for altitude and/or engine size. For a 25 footer, they were likely the same.

Yes...., all components will interchange between the 5.0L and 5.7L if this is the AQ series drive (prior to the SX or DP-S drive).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply, Rick. MY BAD...it IS an 86, and the 290 drive you pictured looks like it. One problem.... the piece that extends over the prop, needs to be replaced. Is it available? It was broken when handled roughly by the idiot hoist operator.

Scott, this is good, as I'm not a big fan of the later Gimbaled system out drives.

corsair23 said:
Volvo Pentas are, I think, easier to get replacement parts for.
Yes for the most part, most anything you could need for that drive is still available today, and will be for years. This is the good ole stuff! Pretty much known as being bullet proof! Also, NO "dog clutch" gear engagement :mad: ..... nice smooth "cone clutch" type gear engagement :D that does not require an ESA or a SI!

BTW, the Duo Prop retro-fits to any of these older drives from the 250 on.

The single prop ratio that you need for a V-8, will be 1.61:1, and will be stamped into the prop shaft bearing carrier just ahead of the "ring anode"! Pull props, remove ring anode, wire brush the area, and it should become visible.

I usually have these transmissions ready to go! I also have a good used lower empty gear case, if interested (the 1.61:1 is in demand..... I don't have a complete unit).

Post a few photos of this, and I can better tell you which one this is!

Last edited:

Thanks, Rick. I will " try " to get a couple photos, but my camera died awhile ago. Maybe a video? That IS possible. I can post it on my You Tube account, and provide a link. Haha...you could also see the vid of my " ancient " 66 Chris Craft Sea-Vee !

That's where I'm looking to put afore mentioned drive, once the one there dies.

S.

Back