Logo

Need help with engine alignment

botaman

Regular Contributor
So, I just finished installed the Gimbal Bearing.
I went and checked the alignment. Alignment showed hitting in the bottom of the tool.
I went ahead and raised the front engine mounts. I've been jumping in and out of the boat a dozen time and a total of 5/8 th of an inch has been raised but still hits in the bottom.

The next logical thing for me to do is to go the other way, but just curious why didn't it make any difference? Is there something I missed before jacking the front motor mounts?

BTW, it's an 02 Larson 4.3 V6 Mercruiser Alpha1 gen II.

Thank you guys.

Drive dropped ? Tighten all the thru transom bolts if you can tighten them more then a half to a full turn i would consider transom rot.

Stringer dropped ?

Drive dropped ? Tighten all the thru transom bolts if you can tighten them more then a half to a full turn i would consider transom rot.

Stringer dropped ?

OK, I will try to tight them transom through bolts to check for looseness.

But, my question for you is did I go the correct way? (raising the front)
Should I go the other way continue to raise some more?

Thanks Master

I went the other way on the front motor mounts which was down and all is good now :) I think the Summer is going to be over by the time I'm done with this boat.

I learned a lesson today though. It's all good...

Alignment showed hitting in the bottom of the tool.
I went ahead and raised the front engine mounts. I've been jumping in and out of the boat a dozen time and a total of 5/8 th of an inch has been raised but still hits in the bottom.
The actual Gimbal bearing oscillates within it's hemispherical housing. If you begin with the bearing tilted, you may get a false reading at the tool.

Try inserting the tool only part way, and tilt the bearing one way or another, and then check alignment again.

Here's your goal.

Attachments

• Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 125
You should also loosen the rubber boot that goes from the exhaust manifold to the transom assembly before beginning the alignment. The boot can hinder free movement of the engine.

No offense intended but, my Merc manual (90-861329-1) on page 2A-9 indicates to leave the exhaust pipe hoses (bellows) loose until after the alignment is performed. Once the alignment is ok, then it indicates to proceed with tightening the clamps on the bellows.

exaust pipe is inside the boat and alignment is performed before you tighten the rubber couplings. the exaust boot is outside the boat and has no bearing on alignnment

That's what I meant above.....the exhaust manifold is inside the boat so the boot I was referring to would also be inside the boat.

"So, I just finished installed the Gimbal Bearing.
I went and checked the alignment. Alignment showed hitting in the bottom of the tool."

If you look at the first post all that was done was the gimbal bearing, not moving the engine at all.The drive was removed easily, therefore the alignment had to be close. the gimbal bearing "gimbals" meaning it will move 360 degrees .not correctly liked up with the coupler could give false readings. the minimal distace to move the engine to achieve alignment has no effect on the couplers for the exaust.

Nice pic Recardo,

First time ever done this. I don't know if I like working on boat. So far, it has been a PITA.

It can be frustrationg, but hey, unlike a car or a truck, at least you don't have to lie underneath with oil and dirt and crap falling in your face!

Rod

Back