Logo

Need help separating the lower unit from the upper on an Alpha

briang0

Regular Contributor
Hi this is my first out drive but I have had outboards in the past. I have the service manual for the 1983 Alpha serial number [FONT=&quot]6227245. I have removed 5 nuts and the hidden allen [/FONT]under the zinc. The front of the unit will drop a little about 1/16 of an inch but the back will not budge. Any tricks to get it to come down. Also the prop doesn't want to come off the shaft either. Any tricks to getting it off. I just down sized from a full inboard and my prop puller won't work on this. I was thinking about sticking a flat blade screw driver in the opening and prying but I don't want to hurt anything. The previous owner said that the boat sat last year so I need to replace the water pump. Thanks in advance.

I`ll send my cell in the private message. most likely its just corrosion. you could not have removed the 2 side nuts cause theres not enough room yet.
Tighten the nuts dowm untill you can fit a 3/8 or 7/16 open end wrench on top of the nuts.now go and unscrew the side nuts. the wrenches act as spacers/ levers to force the stud downward.once you have the room insert a screwdriver into the space on each side and pry gently. DO NOT HAMMER ANYWHERE OR DRIVE THE SCREWDRIVER IN MORE THAN A 1/2 inch.Use the screwdrivers anyplace except to the right of the driveshaft.there is a oil transfer hole there.bottom right of the pic.
gasket2520backwards2520small.jpg

This is for a rubber hub prop.

i is its corrosion bound.a disc cutter is used here. you remove the blads and outer surface of the hub down to the rubber. remove the rubber abd with the thin cutting disc cut down to the SS shaft, rotate 180 derees and make an other cut. split remaining splined section off prop shaft.

Back