Logo

Need Flywheel for Merc 25HP 1997 OG488217 - Cracked Magnet

labbedad

New member
Hello to all and thanks for reading my post.

I'm trying to locate a flywheel for my 25 HP 1997 Merc outboard SN OG488217. One of the magnets is cracked and loose. Here is what led me to pulling the flywheel.

I have a 97 merc 9.9hp motor that runs great. Always starts in 1-2 pulls. So I wondered why my 25 HP merc (which I bought used last year) would not do the same.
Takes 10 or more pulls to start and will flood easily.
Once the engine is warm it starts on the first pull.
Just recently the motor would run on just one cylinder briefly.
I checked for spark on both cylinders and was unable to see any using a Thexton 404 adjustable spark tester, yet the motor would start. I even put a towel over my head for complete darkness and still saw nothing. I then put the spark tester on my lawn mower to make sure it was working and it definitely is.
I suspected that there was something causing a very weak spark so I pulled the flywheel to start there and found the cracked and loose magnet. This may not be the main issue but I need to fix this before I replace other parts.

I can't find replacement magnets and have had no luck finding a used flywheel.

The carb was rebuilt just recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I just found one on ebay!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top