Logo

My shifting is reversed.

89PartyHut

Contributing Member
Working on a classic 50 motor. Somehow someone has reversed the shifting. F is R on the throttle. And R is F.

This is causing an issue because I cannot get wot not enough throttle.

I have tried the usual, pulled the lower put into F on the lower and put into F on the shifter, then reassembled. wouldn't go into neutral or reverse.. Assembled with it in forward shifted to reverse and it bolts up fine and shifts from F to R and N .. wtf is going on here?

I am not familiar with this outboard, but I would be looking for photos of cable connections and linkages on the internet. You might spot where something has been obviously misplaced.

Hang on, before you go ripping apart a lower unit.

Are you positive that the shift control unit is the correct one for the motor?

Some motors go into forward gear when the cable is (shortened) by the action of the shifter unit and some when the cable is (lengthened).

If you are having to put the control unit in "reverse" to get the motor to shift into forward MY FIRST ASSUMPTION would be that someone replaced the original control unit with something off Flea Bay or something that was laying around cheap on the bench at a local marina.

You kinda make it sound like you were working on the motor to correct this issue and NOT the motor was shifting perfectly, and after you made some small change or adjustment it suddenly started it's "backward" operation.

So perhaps you could clarify before going any further - has this been the way it was shifting "since you got it"?

If so, then again, I suspect the control unit itself - might be able to reverse the cam of the "control unit", it has a cam too (some models can be reversed to fit multiple models) to change the cable direction - if not, then you have live with it (as the previous owner did) or replace the shift control unit - not the motors fault.

Last edited:
This boat was bought this way. It is a neighbors boat that didn't run I am fixing for him. It will not go wot because with the shifter in reverse for forward it does not open the butterflies all the way. I saw no adjustment in the control box and it looks factory. It has to be in the lower unit.

This boat was bought this way. It is a neighbors boat that didn't run I am fixing for him. It will not go wot because with the shifter in reverse for forward it does not open the butterflies all the way. I saw no adjustment in the control box and it looks factory. It has to be in the lower unit.

I DOUBT it. As Graham said, the shifter cable extends for reverse. See if yours is moving that way.

Jeff

PS: As I recall, the shifter cam on them goes in one way only.

Fixed it.. Put a pair of vicegrips on the shift shaft and cranked her around all the way clockwise. Now it is working correctly..

Back