Logo

My engine died while running

gerald

" While running, the engine st

" While running, the engine stopped after sputtering a couple of times. I checked the gas (OK) and it did restart once right a way, but died in a couple of seconds. I checked the trip switch.

This is a '96 40 hp ELPT Force engine, S/N OE173965.

I pulled the pluggs, and cranked engine to check for spark....none.

I read the 8-24-03 post "Runs 20 minutes.." about testing the power pack. I checked for 12v power and found that there was power on all four wires both with the switch on and off. I did not have a
small 12v bulb to test with. Is that my next step to try? If so, which wire to use? The power pack has a Lt. purple (grey ?),two yellow and a red wire.

I pulled the flywheel. I did not see any Leakage from the stator. There is a little ware on one spot to the rubber coating. On top of the stator above where the wires attach, I could see a small spot where the top of the stator was "painted" over to cover the wires. But this coating was cracked (or never coated well?) and I could see the wires. Is this a problem?

On the flywheel, one of the magnets has a 1/4" x 3/8" chip located in the middle of the magnet alone what would be the bottom while installed.

What should I do to fix my problem? If the Power pack is bad, what is the part number for a new one? I have not been able to determine this part number.

Thanks for you help! "

" Update on the above informat

" Update on the above information.

What I thought was the power pack,is actually the Voltage regulator. Is the power pack(s) the black box which has the wire that connects to each spark plug?

If this is correct, I do not think that both power packs (no spark on either plug) would go out at the same time.

What is my problem? How do I check (test) to confirm the bad part? "

Back