Logo

Motor runs on land, doesnt run in water 74' 9.9 evinrude

Hey guys could use some help ive got something i cant get my head around.
Ive rebuilt lots of motorbike engines and worked on cars since i was a kid but this is my first outboard project. Done a fair bit of research but still cant get it to run in the water. Its a bit of a long post but it will help you understand my confusion.

I bought a small tinnie with a 74' 9.9 evinrude for very cheap that needed some work. Compression was very good so i decided being a 2stroke shouldnt be too hard to revive. Owner said it has been sitting for ages.

Cleaned carb well, drained all fuel lines and changed them, also bought a new tank as old one was cracked.

Put new plugs gapped at .030

Fresh fuel 95 octane at 50:1

Gave her a pull starts right up. Idled well after playing with mixture screw but water was not coming out the pee hole. So this made me beleive this is the reason motor was abandoned.

Anyway i ordered a gasket kit and a new waterpump since im asuming it may have cooked some gaskets if it had overheated. I took off exhuast cover and cleaned the water passages in there, wasnt too bad to be honest. Seen much worse on youtube. Took water jacket cover off and backflushed water with pressure from the thermostat and it came out the bottom, also did vise versa.

Changed water pump assembly&propeller and now water comes out the thermostat hole beautifully. New thermostat as other was corroded. Put it all back together started first pull ran awesome purred like a kitten and i had peehole, motor was cool according to my fingers after about 15 minutes of running. Could keep my fingers on the head.

Getting all excited that the motor works i changed pullstart cord as it was shaven thin in areas. New gearbox oil, greasing of areas, checked propeller for fishing line. And went out to the boat ramp!! Put the boat in the water and it ran for 15 seconds then died, could not get it started after no way..
even with starter fluid. Back home i went.

Checked plugs they were wet? So i cleaned them up pulled motor over to clean it out asuming it flooded somehow. Plugs back in and it starts nice i ran it for about 10 minutes. Thinking it was a one off back to the water next day to go for a run. Same thing ran for 15 seconds and died would not start again. One thing i noticed is that in the ocean the pee hole is much stronger for the 15 seconds that it ran compared to the low pressure coming from a dodgey tap to the muffs.

I figured water was getiing in the engine as i had left no stone unturned almost. I took the impellor out of the water pump, cleaned plugs and tried starting it with no water at all and it ran well i ran it till it got warm reved it up runs smooth..

Being frustrated i put impeller back. Put motor in a wheelie bin to simulate the ocean and it died after 15 seconds. I took the head off since i had the gasket to replace, only to find both cylinders filled with creamy oil. Same as you would find in a radiator when a 4 stroke has blown the headgasket. I have it apart now and and need to make sure i get it running this time!!!!

I am 95% sure it is the head gasket but some things dont add up. Ussually u can see damage to the headgasket where the water is crossing into the cylinders, also in my experience when head gasket is blown compression is heavily affected making motor hard to run. Also it ran with muffs but mabye due to low pressure.

The difference im assuming with outboards is u can try start it without water making it easier. I just dont understand how so much water can get into the cylinders with the motor having good conpression and a visually good looking gasket. I emptied my fuel tank into clear bottles waste of time as there is no water in the gas.

If you made this far u can finally hear my questions!!

What ways other than through headgasket can water enter the cylinders on an outboard, is it possible to suck through exhuast or something ? The exhuast cover and the water passages seemed ok no cracks or anything. Exhuast isnt broken.

To clean the water out of the motor i emptied a can of wd through intake and plug holes while turning motor over. Is this sufficent?

Anyways where would u guys go from here I will install headgasket when i have the chance just want to take my time and not rush things. Just wondering if i have overlooked something else? Cheers guys!

Always install new gaskets. That being said, water can enter the cylinders via the head gasket and/or the exhaust cover gaskets (squirts in through the ex. ports).

Are you aware that that model was a problem from the beginning? Fouling spark plugs. We couldn't make them run reliably, neither could the factory.

Always install new gaskets. That being said, water can enter the cylinders via the head gasket and/or the exhaust cover gaskets (squirts in through the ex. ports).

Are you aware that that model was a problem from the beginning? Fouling spark plugs. We couldn't make them run reliably, neither could the factory.

Had no idea i guess i should of done more research, ive been prepared for chucking it out as the trailer and hull alone are worth what i paid. Guess ill put on the headgasket try it out if that fails look for a another.motor. Im clueless with outboards but hondas and yamahas in term of dirtbikes have been reliable for me in the past might go with one of those brands.

Hey guys could use some help ive got something i cant get my head around.
Ive rebuilt lots of motorbike engines and worked on cars since i was a kid but this is my first outboard project. Done a fair bit of research but still cant get it to run in the water. Its a bit of a long post but it will help you understand my confusion.

I bought a small tinnie with a 74' 9.9 evinrude for very cheap that needed some work. Compression was very good so i decided being a 2stroke shouldnt be too hard to revive. Owner said it has been sitting for ages.

Cleaned carb well, drained all fuel lines and changed them, also bought a new tank as old one was cracked.

Put new plugs gapped at .030

Fresh fuel 95 octane at 50:1

Gave her a pull starts right up. Idled well after playing with mixture screw but water was not coming out the pee hole. So this made me beleive this is the reason motor was abandoned.

Anyway i ordered a gasket kit and a new waterpump since im asuming it may have cooked some gaskets if it had overheated. I took off exhuast cover and cleaned the water passages in there, wasnt too bad to be honest. Seen much worse on youtube. Took water jacket cover off and backflushed water with pressure from the thermostat and it came out the bottom, also did vise versa.

Changed water pump assembly&propeller and now water comes out the thermostat hole beautifully. New thermostat as other was corroded. Put it all back together started first pull ran awesome purred like a kitten and i had peehole, motor was cool according to my fingers after about 15 minutes of running. Could keep my fingers on the head.

Getting all excited that the motor works i changed pullstart cord as it was shaven thin in areas. New gearbox oil, greasing of areas, checked propeller for fishing line. And went out to the boat ramp!! Put the boat in the water and it ran for 15 seconds then died, could not get it started after no way..
even with starter fluid. Back home i went.

Checked plugs they were wet? So i cleaned them up pulled motor over to clean it out asuming it flooded somehow. Plugs back in and it starts nice i ran it for about 10 minutes. Thinking it was a one off back to the water next day to go for a run. Same thing ran for 15 seconds and died would not start again. One thing i noticed is that in the ocean the pee hole is much stronger for the 15 seconds that it ran compared to the low pressure coming from a dodgey tap to the muffs.

I figured water was getiing in the engine as i had left no stone unturned almost. I took the impellor out of the water pump, cleaned plugs and tried starting it with no water at all and it ran well i ran it till it got warm reved it up runs smooth..

Being frustrated i put impeller back. Put motor in a wheelie bin to simulate the ocean and it died after 15 seconds. I took the head off since i had the gasket to replace, only to find both cylinders filled with creamy oil. Same as you would find in a radiator when a 4 stroke has blown the headgasket. I have it apart now and and need to make sure i get it running this time!!!!

I am 95% sure it is the head gasket but some things dont add up. Ussually u can see damage to the headgasket where the water is crossing into the cylinders, also in my experience when head gasket is blown compression is heavily affected making motor hard to run. Also it ran with muffs but mabye due to low pressure.

The difference im assuming with outboards is u can try start it without water making it easier. I just dont understand how so much water can get into the cylinders with the motor having good conpression and a visually good looking gasket. I emptied my fuel tank into clear bottles waste of time as there is no water in the gas.

If you made this far u can finally hear my questions!!

What ways other than through headgasket can water enter the cylinders on an outboard, is it possible to suck through exhuast or something ? The exhuast cover and the water passages seemed ok no cracks or anything. Exhuast isnt broken.

To clean the water out of the motor i emptied a can of wd through intake and plug holes while turning motor over. Is this sufficent?

Anyways where would u guys go from here I will install headgasket when i have the chance just want to take my time and not rush things. Just wondering if i have overlooked something else? Cheers guys!

I bought a Johnson 3 H.P. in January. I did a-lot of work on it. When I replaced the head gasket I ran an aluminum sanding bar with 320 grit wet/dry paper over the block and laid a piece of 320 on a piece of glass and trued-up the head. On the cylinder mating surface I noted some significant low spots and dressed the cylinder block mating surface until I had substantial exposed and true surface areas surrounding the water jacket/cylinder contact areas. Funny thing was that where my contact area was the poorest (the 7 o'clock position on the upper cylinder between the water jacket and combustion chamber) is the exact same area where a You Tube video showed a blown head gasket for one guy. My guess is the head gasket leaks. Choose your own poison but I sealed my head gasket with Permatex High Tack gasket sealer.

Cheers,

Bill

Hmmm...no pee hole on the 74-75-76 unless added. Look on welsh plug for model number and check the year..

I installed a Pee hole on my Johnson 3. 011.jpg013.jpg

Bill

Well...I installed one in my 76' 13.2ci omc so there!

I would love one of those for my 18' canoe. My f2.5 yami is okay but...

Well...I installed one in my 76' 13.2ci omc so there!

I would love one of those for my 18' canoe. My f2.5 yami is okay but...

They are pretty plentiful on eBay. I'll bet the little Yami's OK too - probably weighs less. I love their motorcycles.

Bill

37lbs 4 stroke..I don't like boating with my lawn mower..vibrates a lot to where the wife needs to sit on a cushion...makes her wet without it...not kidding..

37lbs 4 stroke..I don't like boating with my lawn mower..vibrates a lot to where the wife needs to sit on a cushion...makes her wet without it...not kidding..

The Johnson is spec.d at 33 lbs, my bathroom scale says 30. Well, a four stroke has those valves, camshaft and complicated cylinder head to account for the weight. I'm surprised it vibrates so much. Is it a single cylinder?

Bill

Looks as though yer on it! Hope ya get it licked..If you do let us know.

Did end up working on it, i checked the head for flatness didnt have a feeler gauge handy just used paper and the head was really warped, im suprised it even ran. About 2 x a4 style papers could fit under the metal ruler. After lots of sanding and sore arms it flattend out, went from 120 to 240 on a piece of glass. I cleaned up the carbon off the pistons and used copper gasket spray as sealant.

Started it up in the bin and noticed exhuast cover/water ports were leaking significant water. i took the two plates off and they were warped aswell, i actually had to use two sets of pliers to bend it back and used a hammer to fix up some corners. Sanded them down and they sat nice and flush used sealant on the old gaskets.

After doing this had to redo the idle mixture but it was running in the bin just fine! Starts easy and motor has more compression. I took it out today and was out all day testing the motor and giving it some and it felt torquey and throttle was crispy. It pushes the tinnie along just fine it goes fast enough to plane, I checked on it throughout the day no leaks and was cooling fine!

There was one problem though, reverse doesnt engage. It either doesnt feel like it wants to go in or it goes in and slips out. When the motor is turned off i can engage reverse and spin motor with the propeller but not when its running and under load. It feels like a linkage problem as when u push it into forward it feels like there is alot of slack to keep pushing the shifter forward. So i have to adjust this somehow bring it backwards abit. Hope gearbox is ok.

Often times the connector for the shift rod is not assembled correctly.-----You have to line up the notch on the rod with hole before the screw is put in.----Not sure what you did but it is one thing to check.

It should be assembled correctly i remember i had to use a pipecleaner to hold the screw (after dropping it few times) as theres no space for fingers once the notch is aligned with the hole. But ill be double checking this. I read the rod may be bent but since reverse is upwards seems the opposite that the rod is going too far down. I did have everything in bits though so most likley a mistake in assembly

It was, the shifter rod wasnt clamped hard. The rod coming from the gearbox had no threads left to hold it and they gave way. I cut a long bolt but made it long enough to be able to get a nut on the other side. Its clamped hard and shifts nice now.

Back