Logo

Motor running slow

CaptainA

Hey, so i have a 1987 25hp 2-stroke Johnson. Its on a 12ft v-hull jonboat with a console and a very old control box. Lately, its been running about 3.5 - 4.5 mph. Usually it runs about 25-27 mph. It was working fine until my son took 3 of his friends (all 12-13) out and ran it at about 21 mph for 15 or 20 minutes. It started making weird noises and slowing down and sort of revving, so he stopped it and used the trolling motor to get back to the dock, but used the steering wheel on the console to steer the boat. Then, we let it sit for 10 minutes, and when me and my son went out in it, it would go over 3.5 mph. We tried fiddling with the controlbox, the throttle on the motor, but nothing happened. Its been this way for 4 weeks now. Also, 2 weeks ago i noticed that it was making a grinding noise from the lower unit. Plese help! Also, i noticed some oil leaking out of it. Thanks for reading such a long entry, and thanks for help in advance.:)

The pull-start on the motor dosent work, so the motor is rigged up to a key i turn. So i cant pull the gearbox My son added the correct amount of ethanol additive, fuel, and oil. But how do i smell the oil? Its added in with the gas

The pull-start on the motor dosent work, so the motor is rigged up to a key i turn. So i cant pull the gearbox My son added the correct amount of ethanol additive, fuel, and oil. But how do i smell the oil? Its added in with the gas

What does electric start have to do with the failure to "pull" (remove) the gearbox (gear-case)? kimcrwbr1 is telling you to remove the gear-case, then to take a compression test of the power-head.

Also... he is not telling you to smell the gasoline mixture... he's telling you to smell the oil that leaking out of the gear-case to determine if it smells like oil... or does it smell like gas.

Back