Logo

Motor Revs high then stops after startup?! 1971 18hp Evinrude

JJsays77

Member
I have a 1971 18hp Evinrude and now when I start the motor it revs high and then stops all within 5 seconds. No matter if the low idle screw is between 3/4 and 2 rotations out. If it's outside that parameter it won't even start.

Before it would at least idle, but pretty rough and on just one cylinder. Previously when I took the plug wire off the top cylinder it would run on the bottom cylinder just fine, but when I took the bottom cylinder plug wire off it would just shut off immediately.

So I replaced all points, condensers for both cylinders, and the coil for the top cylinder. I fine tuned both points to where they open up right in between the hash marks. I checked for spark and both plug wires make spark. The carb is cleaned twice. I just took the flywheel off again to test the timing and it's still right between the hash marks. I really don't know what else to look for?

I can post a video of what the motor is doing if I can find a way to do so.

In the meanwhile, any help on what I should look for?
 
Back
Top