Logo

Motor keeps stalling

footbrake

Contributing Member
On my 22ft Imperial with the AQ231A Volvo Penta (305 chevy) & DP, I have a reoccuring problem. When I leave my slip, backing out and all there's no problem. First Let me explain that I'm docking into the current. After I've run about an hour and want to dock in my slip, I have to let the current push me sideways down the the dock area till I reach my slip. All the while I'm shifting into forward every few seconds to keep me straight with my slip as the current pushes me towards it. Everytime I go to forward it stalls. Then I'm hustling to get it started again so the current don't push me out of my approach.

Do you think my idle is too low? In neutral it's just around 750-800. Someone was telling me I may have a problem with my shift interrupter thingy. But wouldn't that give me the same problem leaving the slip as when returning?

The only thing I did this summer and I can't remember if it started happening after this adjustment was, I notice after the motor reached operating temp. The electric choke had the choke blade closed about 1/4". I adjusted the choke so that it was wide open at operating temp. Do you think that this motor liked it a little rich with the choke shut a hair? Thanks for any ideas. Russ

Back