Logo

Motor I got back from shop looks nothing like the one put in there.

carogator

Regular Contributor
Mercury 18 XD 1985 : I rebuilt the carb and installed new water pump for a close friend. Later, he put it in a local dealers place ( not mercury dealer) to sell. Said he couldn't sell because it would not start. I bought it and we picked it up and had to wait while he put back a part that he took off to try on a customers motor (?). 4 month's later and seller has died. and I just started to check it out before starting it.
That motor , when I worked on it, only had 30 hours on it and looked brand new. This one looks like it has been through the mill. The plug on the block with the serial number has been dented as if removed and reinstalled. The carb isn't the one I built and not the right one for this motor.
My question is: is there any place or part I could check for #'s to see if it is the original powerhead?

Too late now. The seller has died from covid, and I will not accuse until I can prove. I won't bad mouth the shop without proof.
Thanks for looking.

It happens, but pretty rare. What about the main serial number on the tag? When you bought the carb kit, you would have noted that number for sure.

Back