Logo

MORE1986 Evinrude 6 HP yachtwin questions

lucky_bum

"Motor is a E6SLD. Got some wo

"Motor is a E6SLD. Got some work to do on this..

Not knowing how good the fresh water impeller or how old I kept a close eye on the pee stream,,, Put the motor on my sailboat to try out. I asked earlier about the smoke I get both from the leg and from under the hood. Well there is quit a lot of smoke coming from under the hood and I believe there is an exhaust leak as there is more noise than maybe should be. I do have a parts catalog and in it I see what is called an "exhaust cover". Could this be a source of the smoke coming from a bad gasket? This piece has the pee hose connected to it to.
During my test run I had opened up to full throttle
to see the max power. Watching the pee stream it started to slow after I went to fast idle and by the time I got back to my dock and idling it was almost completely stopped. I then shut it down. I felt the head and spark plug area and it was very warm but not HOT so I did not over heat. Is there I web place available where I could copy and paste a chapter on impeller replacement? Has anyone tried to obtain a copy of a service manual at the Library? Thinking since I was able to replace the impeller on my 2004 5HP Nissan 4- stroke, I should be able to do the Evinrude too. This motor is a back-up for when the stupid Nissan gets it's monthly repair. (These four stroke are too sensitive to the fuel they use( it's been a Joanna for me. ) Thanks in advance for any comments here.
Chuck"

"The joint beneath the exhaust

"The joint beneath the exhaust cover could be the source of your exhaust leak but I would be worried that the cover may be distorted if it is leaking there. You'll have seen that there are two (identical) gaskets either side of the inner cover.

The other possibility is that the joint between the power head and the leg is leaking. There does not appear to be a gasket in that joint (I forget now ) so it might be worth checking that the 6 bolts between them are tight.

The pee stream may decrease a bit when the thermostat opens but it should always be a good steady jet but it seems from what you say that it is not overheating.

Replacement of the impeller is pretty straightforward. Drop the lower unit off but in the first instance break the joint between the leg and the extension, taking the latter of with the gearcase. The shift rod pulls out of the pinion at the top, the water-tube pulls out of the pump and the drive shaft pulls out of the crankshaft.

Once that is all apart you can clean up the drive shaft and then remove the extension. (but fit it on the leg first when reassembling.)

With the 86 model there are seals at the top of the drive shaft which with luck will have prevented it getting stuck in the crankshaft.

With the gearcase off it is sensible to consider whether its seals need changing.

Check with a hose connected to the water tube that you can get a good flow of water through the engine. Also feel up the tube with a stout wire for any signs that the grommet at the top is getting squeezed over it. If you can feel anything squidgy up there it is!

With the exception of fitting the extension to the leg re-assembly is the reverse of dismantling. It takes a bit of fiddling as you are probably aware to get the spines on the drive-shaft to mate with the crankshaft."

Back