Logo

Model year of engine

Tom_Witt

Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of a 32' 1967 Tollycraft Explorer express cruiser with twin Chrysler 318cid engines purchased in January of last year. Right after Independence Day I started having problems with the stbd engine misfiring on cylinder 4. After reading the great thread on water in cylinder:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?247701-Water-in-cylinder

I traced the problem to a failed exhaust manifold. I've got the heads in for rebuild as the combustion chamber was pretty rusty on the right cylinder bank. My dilemma is now finding the correct replacement exhaust manifolds and gaskets. The boat is a '67, but the parts list for the '67 318 exhaust show the two middle exhaust ports together. My original manifolds have the exhaust ports evenly spaced sown the length of the manifold. After speaking with the previous owner about it, he said that the engines are early 318's. The model number off the plate on the engine is as follows:

318BWR10 Type 352 S/N: 98080

Can anyone help with locating parts or even the year the motors were made?

Tom

Some more info on the exhaust manifolds:

I found these numbers stamped on left manifold:

B-5799-M
5-18-84

My assumption is that this is the part number and date code of the casting, but I can't find any reference to it online. This was the "good" cylinder bank-no water or misfire-but one of the main water paths was completely blocked. So, I need to replace both manifolds and end caps. I've included a couple of pictures of the manifold in question.

Attachments

• IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
Dave, the manual in the link you sent-thanks-is identical to the one I have that came with the boat's documentation. Since I have that manual, the service manual, which looks a lot like a Chilton's, and (how rare is this?) the original Tollycraft owner's manual with the wiring diagram for the entire boat (wire size/color/terminal/application) I was pretty confident I could figure it out. Heh, rotsa ruck. OTOH, I've just completed going through the ENTIRE forum looking for hints and Dave Kain at Hurrikain Marine was kind enough to reply to an email I sent him, and I now feel a lot better at the depth of knowledge out there on these engines. My next goal is to give back a little and see about making my service manual available digitally for anyone who can use it. Here's a picture of the boat in question:
At Perry's March09.jpg

Quick update for those viewing this thread. I found the casting number on the side of the block, thanks to a thread on this site. The engines were built in December, 1966. Not to just find the manifolds.....

That may be a barr marine number on the manifolds B-5799-M and the other looks like the cast date back in 84.Im not positive but there may have been an auction for some on Ebay within the last week or so

Anycase try to find Barr marine as I have never seen Osco offer those

Back