Logo

Model ID / serial number Mariner 75 Please help!

andyderbyshire

Hello,

I've just bought a Mariner outboard but cannot find the serial number.
I've searched this forum and others but with no luck so far.

Some of you guys are extremely knowledgeable! Can you help?

I need to identify the engine for when it needs spare parts and for the insurance company.

Here are all the details I know:

It is a 3 cylinder 2 stroke with the oil in a tank on the engine (ie not premixed in the petrol).
Engine is silver and cover has 75 on the back.

I looks like it was made between '77 and '89 as it looks like the one on the cover of the SELOC manual.

I've found these numbers:

On Powerhead 1034-8998-02 (then a K which faces the other way, and then X)

Under backet (an upside down T first) 499-8709-C7 7A 356

On the base XK 428 75 04 I

I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me if
1, any of these are the serial number
2, confirm that it is a 75HP
3, tell me which year it was made

I hope I can be of help to someone here in the future.

Many thanks,
Andy
(Chesterfield, England)

Last edited:
The serial number is usually on a sticker on the starboard side on the swivel bracket. Sometimes these come off...
It will also be on a freeze plug on the block, usually on the bottom rear corner on the starboard side of those models...
Otherwise... post some pics up and we can ID it for you...

Hello Tony,
Thanks for your reply. I've had another really good look and still cannot find a serial number anywhere. There is a round 'hole' about 1cm deep in the area you describe in which a Welch plug might have been fitted at some point, but just 2 digits in the hole. I've attached 3 pics to this message. Is there any chance of identifying which model it is and the approx age, please? I've tried searching for what I assume must be the part numbers in my first post, in the vain hope they would be a clue to the model, but nothing comes up.
Many thanks for your time,
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• P6170089.jpg
    P6170089.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 335
  • P6170086.jpg
    P6170086.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 542
  • P6170087.jpg
    P6170087.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
around 1987-88 with the split cowl. They started making this model in '87 to replace the L6 tower of power. Bucket cover is '88 & up.

Last edited:
Time bandit is mostly right... That model did indeed start in '87... But the bucket cowl didnt come out till '94 for that model...
I can clearly see where the ID tags should be and they are not there...
The Light grey colour tells us its '91-'93... but the rear cowl support is the darker colour which is '87-90..
That powerpack was first used in '94..
The split cowl was used '87-'93..
My best guess would be that its a '91-'93 with a later model powerhead fitted...
How many wing nuts hold the flywheel cover on?? 3 is pre '93 and 4 is '94 and later...
What are the WME numbers on the carbs??

Can some one tell me where I can find the serial number on a 2014 Mariner 8 hp? The sticker on the swivel bracket has fallen. Off. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Back