Logo

MOD 40ELPTO 2004 REGULATOR RECITIFIER BURNED UP

russell

OUT BOATING ONE DAY AND THE BO

OUT BOATING ONE DAY AND THE BOY NOTICED SMOKE. THE BOAT NEVER QUIT RUNNING BUT MELTED THE REGULATOR/ RECTIFIER. NOW IT FAILS TO CHARGE THE BATERY. REPLACED REGULATOR RECTIFIER BUT STILL NO CHARGE TO THE BATTERY AND TACH IS ALL OVER THE PLACE. IS IT THE STATOR OR SOMETHING ELSE? THIS IS A FAIRLY NEW MOTOR AND I AM NOT THRILLED ABOUT THIS FAILURE MODE(POTENTIAL FIRE). IS THIS COMMON?

It sounds like your stator is

It sounds like your stator is shot - unless you got a bad rectifier (to replace your one that bit the dust).

This is not unheard of but not common either. It is usually caused by:

1) accidently reversing the battery cables

2) a short across the battery terminals or regulator terminals

3) running the motor without the battery connected or with bad battery connections.

You can test the stator without removing it if you have an ohm meter (or multi-meter).

Depending on "which" stator you have you are looking for a slightly different reading - however both are close.

If you disconnect the two yellow stator wires and check across them -

Setting ohm meter to "R x 1"

for a 9 amp stator you are looking for a reading of .4 to 1.0 ohms

for a 16 amp stator you want a reading of .165 to .181 ohms

"Excellent and thanks. Will te

"Excellent and thanks. Will test coil resistance. Ok now trying to get at the root cause to avoid a repeat. I think we can rule out cause 1 and 3 because the battery was not reconnected any time recently and I have been running off the battery and manually charging and using for an hour or so. Number 2 sounds the most likely and probably has the most chance for reoccuring if I don't find the short. If the short occured inside the regulator then the short is fixed with the new regulator. If it occured external to the regulator then I still have a potential for a repeat, unless I find it. The battery seems an unlikly place to look. It is contained in plastic battery box as it came from the boat dealer (fisher pontoon boat). This means that I am looking for regulator wires that came in contact. Ok by installing the new regulator I know that the two yellow wires were melted together. Based on what you said those are coming from the stator. I had assummed that they were melted from the heat that melted the inside of the regulator, but this could be the source of the short. By the way there were no markings I could find when reconecting the yellow wires to the regulator so I assumed it did not matter which was which. Bad assumption? There were also 2 redish wires a grey and a black ground. Each of the remaining wires could only be connected one way and had some heat damage but not as bad as the two yellow. I reconected all the wires and individually wrapped with a lot of electrical tape due to the heat damage to the factory connector electical insulation. Ok so the stator is a coil generating unregulated AC current to the yellow wires. Yellow wires allowed to short and takes out regulator and stator at the same time. Is this it, or have I missed the boat."

Back