Logo

Mercury Sport Jet 90 - Rev Limiter and Switch Box Tests?

Ronski584

New member
This is my first post and I am new to this forum, but not new to boats and engines.* I recently bought a 93 Sea Rayder with a Sport Jet 90.* I purchased it “as is” with known electrical issues (no spark).* I have since removed all the electrical components and wire hardness.* It was in poor shape with many splices, bad terminals and grounds.* The ignition plate also has a fair amount of rust on it.* At some point in the motors life, the stator and regulator were replaced with the “red stator” and “design 2” regulator.* But who ever did the work back then did not do a good job wiring in the new parts.
*
I have started to test the existing components.* The stator resistance test shows low resistance across the yellow leads (0.2 to 0.3 ohms below spec).* The regulator tests open circuit.* I have not tested the switch box or rev limiter.* Two of the three coils test very high resistance and the third slightly above spec.
*
I have heard that a bad rev limiter can kill other electrical components in the system.* Is this true?* Is there a standalone test I can do on the rev limiter to make sure it is good?* I would hate to install a new stator, regulator (and maybe switch box) only to find that my existing rev limiter killed the new components.
*
Also, is there a standalone test that I can do on the switch box?* From what I have read, it needs to be connected to other components for testing (from Sport Jet service manual).
*
One other question.* What is in the candy bar shaped component that is used with the red stator?* Is there any way to test it?* I was not planning to buy this with a new red stator (person selling stator does not have this part).
*
Sorry for all the questions, but I figured there had to be someone else who went down this same path and has some useful information.
*
Thanks very much for the help.
*
Ron
92 Sea Ray Sundancer 230
93 Sea Rayder F14
(and to many cars)
 
Back
Top