Logo

Mercury prop on a AQ290 ?

skidoodog

I have heard that someone has made a conversion on an AQ290 to run a Merc style prop on this drive (a drag racer from Arizona can't find the link now). I would sure be nice to be able to run these relatively cheep an plentyfull props on my volvo drive. I also really want to try out a merc High 5 prop on my boat.(not cheep or plentyfull)

I suspect that the lenght of the shaft is a major issue but don't know for sure. I could have a flow torque insert modified to 17 splines (my friend has a full machine shop) but I'm guessing there is more to it than that... I would prefer not to have to have a custom prop shaft made up to retain the flexibility to go back to the AQ style props....OK, I want it all...lol.
icon10.png

Anyone got any ideas ?

Stay with what is designed to work with the 290 drive.
The hub distance from the ring anode, solid hub -vs- thru prop exhaust, shaft/spinner dimension, all play a role in how well this will work on the 290 drive.

Merc A props are typically RH as well.
When we drive a RH prop, we run on the upper "driven" gear.
When we run a LH prop, we run on the lower driven gear.
There is a catch, however!
If you are putting a bunch of horse power in front of an early 290 drive (using a LH prop), be sure to examine the vertical shaft brass splilt ring keeper.
Replace this at the first signs of expansion.

I have special stress proof steel keepers machined for this, if interested.
Volvo Penta does not offer this for the smaller diameter 290 vertical shaft... only for when we get into the later transmissions.

Thanks for the response Rick. Sounds like good advice. It was an interesting and doable idea I thought. Guess not so much....

My drive is 2000, SP290E with a PRM step drive on a zodiac hurricane 630. Power is an ADQ31P Volvo 150hp diesel not big horsepower but some torque. I assume its the newer model you are reffering too that does not need the steel keeper.
I reallise this is a gas forum but the drive is the same. Much more traffic on this than the diesel section.

I am running a RH Solas amita 3 21p right now and am getting 18 % slip from the prop calculator...I think this is a little on the high side. I may yet have to fit a genuine expensive Volvo prop to get the blade area up. I do run in rocky areas for part of the year so...will have to be extra carefull with an expensive prop.

I'm relatively new to this boat so I'm still having fun experimenting. I think my prop collection is about to expand.

Thanks again for the info.

Dave

To the best of my knowledge, there should not be a SP or 290 series even close to year 2000.... unless this was "over-the-counter".
By year 2000, all Volvo Penta drives were the Gimbal system drives (SX and DP-S style)..... in fact, the last of the AQ series, I believe, was in 1995/96.
The two were in production side by side from 1994 until then.

Perhaps post a photo of the drive.
The older 290 would look like this:
1935.jpg

Back