MarineEngine.com does not offer troubleshooting assistance or repair advice by email or by telephone.
You are invited to join our public Boat Repair Forum to seek assistance from other members.
You may also visit the Boat Motor Manuals section of our site to obtain a service manual.
Your engine serial number comes up as an 1987, 20_HP, 'Parts Group: 18/20/25 H.P. (XD)I picked up a 20 hp Mercury outboard with no plate or sticker. The freeze plug had a number on it "B162749" How do I get information on this motor so I can get parts? I think it is a 1986 but I'm not sure. Actually, I'm not positive it is a 20 hp.
Hi there, if your serial number truly starts with a 3 then that is going to be pretty old vs the engines being mentioned above in this thread and it wouldn't really be picked up doing a general serial number automated search...What about serial #3809752 would you know the year so I can get a water pump kit.? ant help is appreciated.....
Thank You for Replying my Old Parts have Parts #46-68494 for the bottom half and #46-69200 for the top half where should i look for any other I. D. Numbers.?Hi there, if your serial number truly starts with a 3 then that is going to be pretty old vs the engines being mentioned above in this thread and it wouldn't really be picked up doing a general serial number automated search...
It's going to be from a book chart of serial number ranges plus we would need a bit more info to try and get things sort out with yours such as engine size/HP, any other numbers on the engine / carbs, color of engine and decals, ask again are you sure it's a 3 and not either a 6 or a letter then numbers while 3 is still a possibility, just need to double check with you as often over the years some numbers become fat thumbed all depending on actual model and true year... Maybe post a few photos of the overall engine with and without engine cowling, carbs, serial number ID tag...
I Apologize about leaving the Important Info Out.380XXXX is about 1974.
Since you failed to tell us the HP, we are at a stand still.
Go to Mercury parts
Go to Correct HP
Then see if your serial number range is listed. Some HPs have more than 1 listing, so if your serial number isn't listed, go up or down 1 listing.
IMm not real good at the computer stuff.. Im still working on just trying to attach pics
IMm not real good at the computer stuff.. Im still working on just trying to attach pics
OK wILL dO. tHANK yOU..Use the link I attached earlier today. Your serial number is as you said.
Oh that’s the First Thing I checked. And I’ve been working my way Down the Engine. But, Thanks for the Heads Up1973-1974 65hp..Do a compression test before you drop a penny into the motor...