I have a 2004 Mercury Optimax 115 (115ELPTO) that was known bad when I purchased the boat (2004 SunTracker 25'). Ran thru inspecting outboard and found cyl 1 & 3 had damage (looks like broken edge of piston). Rather than a teardown+rebuild I am looking at a powerhead swap.
I have found a 2012 Optimax 115 Pro XS and a 2006 Optimax 115. My question is whether the Pro XS will swap. I know I will be using the standard ECU and miss the aggressive fuel map and RPM increase of the Pro XS, but also know there were updates to the powerhead with the 2012 and it has CF reeds. Am I better to stick with the older standard powerhead or good move to the Pro XS?
Also, I am sending the injectors out for cleaning and flow matching, servicing the air compressor, doing fluid (power head and foot), new water impeller. The donor is on the boat and everything works (minus the bad cylinders). Any other "gotcha" items while I'm swapping?
I have found a 2012 Optimax 115 Pro XS and a 2006 Optimax 115. My question is whether the Pro XS will swap. I know I will be using the standard ECU and miss the aggressive fuel map and RPM increase of the Pro XS, but also know there were updates to the powerhead with the 2012 and it has CF reeds. Am I better to stick with the older standard powerhead or good move to the Pro XS?
Also, I am sending the injectors out for cleaning and flow matching, servicing the air compressor, doing fluid (power head and foot), new water impeller. The donor is on the boat and everything works (minus the bad cylinders). Any other "gotcha" items while I'm swapping?
Last edited:

