Logo

Mercury F50 ELPT EFI Fourstroke 2003 Fuel in Oil

peter240699

New member
"Hello,

when I run my F50 E


"Hello,

when I run my F50 ELPT EFI (2003) in cold
water (1-4 degree celsius) my motor oil level
rises. I get fuel into the motor oil, the oil
get's thinner and smells after fuel. Happens quite
quick, about 10 hours of use raise the level about
200 ml. I allready replaced the fuel pump and the
thermostat. But they where not broken. Mercury
Europe is not very helpfull.

I think the problem is that the motor runs
allways to fat in this cold conditions.
The motor behaves the same from day one,
took me some time to find the problem
(it's not allways cold here
)

Someone suggested to use synthetic oil and run
higher octane fuel.

Mercury allows a 25W40 synthetic oil. I ordered
some for a try.

Any hints?

Best regards from Germany

Peter"
 
this has been a problem with m

this has been a problem with many four strokes when it is extreamly cold the only fix i know try to get and run a hotter thermostat in winter months check engine temp with inferred heat gun should be in 140deg range if not merc yamaha makes one for alaska and you have a yamaha powerhead
 
"Thank you very much for the d

"Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
I ordered a Johnson Thermostat with 143 F.
Original is 120 F.

I will report here on progress.

Best Regards,

Peter"
 
"Hello, I promised an update:

"Hello, I promised an update:
The motor runs without problems with the
Johnson Thermostat. Wheter this solves the
benzin in oil problem, I can not say yet.
Need to run it for some more hours to see the
effect.

Best regards,

Peter"
 
"Ok, as promised an update.

"Ok, as promised an update.
I run the motor on my fishing vacation in
very cold water (1-3 degree celsius) for some
days. I even broke the ice with the boot...

No more problems with fuel in the oil.
I used the other thermostat and higher
octane fuel (97 or 99 octane).

Best regards,

Peter"
 
Back
Top