Logo

Mercury controls question

Jhow

Hello everyone, hope all are safe and healthy.
I have 2005 merc 90hp 3cyl 2 stroke saltwater series outboard that needs power head rebuilt. I recently found a like new 2007 optimax 90hp with 63hrs on it for a very good price. Will my controls currently on my boat from the 2005 work with the 2007 optimax 90hp? All info is much appreciated.
Jason

As it has appled to me, Mercury/Quicksilver has 2 basic control boxes for their engines which are the Commander 2000 and 3000. The 2000 is a bulkhead mounted, exposed control and cabling unit with a fast idle lever at the top....very convenient and my preference.

The 3000 is for fancier installations where the control is mounted more into the bulkhead and cabling is hidden behind the bulkhead. Prettier but to get fast idle, you have to push the big black button on the control handle and while holding it in, advance the lever forward for throttle only......not to my liking.

Then you have the unique installation controls like for cabin cruisers, with dual dash mounted (on or above) chrome finished fancy things with cabling out of sight.

The 2000 shows up in the service manual for these engines from about 1994 thru 2005 in Jet 60 hp up through 125, 3 and 4 cylinder loop charged 2 strokers. The cabling connectors are electrical with a round 8 pin connector for electrical and a pair of mechanical cables with a center conductor with plastic tip with an attachment hole in the end and the outer conductor terminates in a brass tube which is threaded with a "barrel" shaped, threaded connector that is the moveable "dead man" for locking the outer conductor so that the inner conductor can push and pull against it to effect throttle and shifting changes.

Last edited:
Back