Logo

Mercury Bigfoot Oil / Temp Alarm

kazeej

I have a 1995 Mercury 60hp 2 stroke. It runs fine, but I don't think it has a working oil/temp alarm. When I turn the key, there's no chirp (my other boat has the alarm and chirps, I'm assuming it's supposed to?).

Do all motors have this alarm?

How do I determine if the alarms are on the motor?

If they're not there, can they be installed?

Thanks for any advice...

Jack

Definately need it working correct if your running the motor put a mark on the oil tank so you can monitor it is getting oil. Otherwise put some oil in your fuel 50:1 until you can confirm the oil pump is working correct. It dont take long to destroy the engine running without oil.

It does use oil. I top up the tank before going out each time. Is there a sensor on the oil tank that I can check, too?

Thanks!
Jack

There should be a switch on the bottom tied to the alarm. If you have a dash mounted ignition switch the boat builder may not have installed the alarm module that comes w/a side mount shifter ignition switch which sends a test pulse to the alarm...a single beep when you turn the key on. Mine did not so I installed a momentary test pushbotton switch to test the alarm. Let me know if you want to install one and I'll tell you how simple it is to do.

Back