Logo

Mercury 90hp 2 stroke flooding

Dive101588

Hi,
Have 2003 2 stroke 90hp Mercury and it floods on startup have tried , full throttle open , left for 10 mins etc just winds over no kick. Take it out of water for an hour and it starts. Seems like the choke is staying on when starting ??

It has an electric primer valve / enricher.---Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking the motor over for cold start ?

Make sure the carbs are clear of water... etc See the brass screw on bottom side of the float bowls (hex and flat screwdriver)? Remove each, put a rag under each not to drop it. Then push clear fuel through with the primer bulb. Do this to each of the 3 carbs. If by chance the engine has sat for long periods it may have water covering the main jet. This procedure will ensure new fuel from the tank, clear the carbs, and tell you the needle in seat is working (not stuck). Then try to start it.

Typically with my 2 stroke I have to hold the key in until kicks but doesn't start. I then turn the key without pushing and it starts with no throttle.

Back