Logo

Mercury 9.8 hp can't find s/n and need help!!!!!!!

Drummertf

New member
I recently purchased an old 9.8 hp Mercury and I can't seem to find a s/n anywhere. I found a number on the silver plug and it reads 6612498, but I can't find any information on that number anywhere. The only other number i see is 74918. Do any of theese mean anything.

My other qusetion is are the motors worth keeping. I got the motor in a deal for pretty cheap. Before i tune it up and decide its worth keeping i would like some more info on them.
 
6612498 sounds correct for a 1984 model 9.8

Is it worth keeping? That depends.

If you can get away with changing the sparkplugs and maybe servicing the waterpump and it otherwise works fine, it's worth it.

If it has the older tillotson carb instead of the Walbro you can't get a kit. You can't get a stator or trigger for these (at least from Merc - a parts recycler may be able to help).

If your real question is "would you put money into this", I personally would not. Mine is but one opinion, but I "personally" would put next to no value in a pre-1986 portable Merc if it was part of a boat/motor/trailer package I was looking at.

In late 85 (1986 model year) Merc drastically changed their portable line. The parts stayed relatively constant during the next 25 years so lot's of parts available. Not so for those produced even a single year "before" the change over.
 
6612498 sounds correct for a 1984 model 9.8

Is it worth keeping? That depends.

If you can get away with changing the sparkplugs and maybe servicing the waterpump and it otherwise works fine, it's worth it.

If it has the older tillotson carb instead of the Walbro you can't get a kit. You can't get a stator or trigger for these (at least from Merc - a parts recycler may be able to help).

If your real question is "would you put money into this", I personally would not. Mine is but one opinion, but I "personally" would put next to no value in a pre-1986 portable Merc if it was part of a boat/motor/trailer package I was looking at.

In late 85 (1986 model year) Merc drastically changed their portable line. The parts stayed relatively constant during the next 25 years so lot's of parts available. Not so for those produced even a single year "before" the change over.

Ok thank you. It seems to run pretty good as it sits so I may just ride it out until I can find a deal on something better. Apparently its not a good long term motor. I definitely know what its like to hunt down parts that are hard to find. My other alternative to the 9.8 is a 5.5 ted williams motor lol.
 
Back
Top