Logo

Mercury 700 low power

agreszler

I'm new to this forum. I have an old Mercury 700 (3 cylinder 70 HP). It is idling rough and has very low power output. When idling, I can remove the center cylinder plug wire with no discernible change. If I remove the bottom plug wire, the idle is rougher. If I remove the top plug wire, the engine dies. I found the center plug is very wet when removed and doesn't show any carbon which would imply no combustion. I checked the spark in the center cylinder and it seems strong enough. I ran the engine briefly with the center plug removed and it seems to be spitting a lot of fuel from that cylinder. According to my Seloc manual, excess fuel in one cylinder could be caused by a leak in the fuel pump diaphragm. I removed the fuel pump and did not see an obvious leak, but, of course tore the gasket upon removal. I have ordered the gaskets and diaphragm for the pump. I'm not confident that will fix it and I'm looking for more ideas. Thanks.

Compression test should be done.

Top cylinder checks at 130 PSI, middle at 125, and bottom at 150. On second look, I suspect what is spitting out of the center cylinder is a fuel water mixture. Now, I'm suspicious that the gasket for the fuel pump was leaking allowing water into the area behind the diaphragm. Does that make sense?

Jeff, I replaced the fuel pump gaskets and diaphragm with no improvement. I suspect you are correct that block is cracked or perhaps corroded through to the cylinder. I'm not sure it's worth trying to repair this old motor.
Thanks,
Tony

Back