Logo

Mercury 60hp 2006 power trim

My power trim stop working and my engine is in lower position. I cant loose the screw to manual handling of engine. And im afraid I destroy the screw. First, wich way to release. Clockwise or anticlockwise? And other good tips to get this screw open.

Ivar

The screw is anti clockwise. Usually I have found that if they are tight/corroded, get at it with an impact driver with an extension. This requires a little bit of fiddling about but in most cases there is enough room to move about. Usually this loosens the screw. You don't say if the electric trim/tilt motor is operating. If not, my guess is a fuse or broken wire. Flat battery if someone left the key on? If the electric motor is working but the motor not raising, possibly a lack of oil or a piece of crap under one of the relief valves. That my friend is beyond a handyman mechanic to repair.

Thanks for help. I can hear the trim pump engine running so I guess that is lack of hydraulic oil in the system. Now the engine is down so I cant fill. The screw is destroyed, it was stuck and broke. Its made of plastic. What doesthis screw do? Does it take out vacuum in the hydraulic oil system?

Anyway I think need to drill this screw out, or drill a hole to bleed out oil.

Thanks for help

Ivar

If the electric tilt/trim motor is functioning when using the up/down switch, well that means the problems lie in the hydraulic system somewhere. If there is no obvious oil leak from the trim/tilt hydraulics, I would guess the oil level or lack of oil is probably not the cause. I suspect you will need to have some one knowledgeable to dismantle the pump/hydraulic system. There are a few seals and o-rings inside which may be faulty. Perhaps a relief valve is corroded stuck. Difficult to diagnose through this column. The bleed screw allows oil to flow freely in and out of the hydraulic ram to oil reservoir thus allowing you to lift or lower manually I've never had to drill one out but in your case, there is probably no other way. Look at a parts book first to see what configuration your bleed screw has. If it's a needle type screw into a seat, be very careful as you go or you could ruin the seat. How about a drill almost the same size and try an ezy-out tool?

Back