SAABologist
New member
Thank you in advance for your patience with this question you probably have heard before. This is my first post to the forum, but I have been doing some searching for answers. Here goes:
- 5hp two-stroke from 1999, running 50:1 new premium grade gas
- Brand new carburetor, the whole thing, not a rebuild with kit.
- Brand new coil
- New plug
- Cleaned all visible corrosion from stator, inside of flywheel, the magnet on side of flywheel
- Checked compression (engine cold) and it was 110
- The motor starts great when cold, I set air/fuel (about 41/4 turns) until runs smooth, set idle. From dead cold it will start after 1 pull with choke and 1-2 pulls. I have done this numerous times....
- Runs at idle for a long time, seems great.
- PROBLEM-- If it stalls on its own, or runs until I turn it off, once this motor is warm it is really hard to start. Most of the time I have to wait until it is cold again.
- Then this frustrating cycle repeats itself!
Thanks millions for sharing your advice and experience to get me out of this groundhog-day scenario!
- 5hp two-stroke from 1999, running 50:1 new premium grade gas
- Brand new carburetor, the whole thing, not a rebuild with kit.
- Brand new coil
- New plug
- Cleaned all visible corrosion from stator, inside of flywheel, the magnet on side of flywheel
- Checked compression (engine cold) and it was 110
- The motor starts great when cold, I set air/fuel (about 41/4 turns) until runs smooth, set idle. From dead cold it will start after 1 pull with choke and 1-2 pulls. I have done this numerous times....
- Runs at idle for a long time, seems great.
- PROBLEM-- If it stalls on its own, or runs until I turn it off, once this motor is warm it is really hard to start. Most of the time I have to wait until it is cold again.
- Then this frustrating cycle repeats itself!
Thanks millions for sharing your advice and experience to get me out of this groundhog-day scenario!

