Logo

Mercury 50 ELPT to rich fuel on idle rpm

St.Anton

New member
Hello to all. three weeks ago I bought 50 mercury. I bought for trolling. does not hold idle. as I did not try at 850 rpm it is very unstable.I examined all carburetor. synchronized them using vacuum gauges. but still nothing has changed. it smells very gasoline and all the spark plugs are very black.I think something is wrong with the jets. but nowhere can I find information exactly which jets should be
 
Most likely your carb(s) are flooding.

As for synchronizing your carbs, they should all be closed, all the way together, and open together at the same time.

Jeff
 
You could try taking the float bowls off and checking the float needle and maybe spraying a non-plastic harming cleaner (my floats are of a plastic type material); my float bowls had a bowl gasket, a baffle plate, and an internal washer at the base of the bowl -was a pain to get them all back in - should have used an adhesive on the bowl gasket.
 
Yesterday I checked the information about the jets. they are correct. it drove me into a corner. floats and needles checked. the middle of the float is 10 mm from the edge of the carburetor. everything is as in the manual. I tested with air. they keep locked. I can not understand from where the extra gasoline is taking place. One mechanic said that the diameter of the main veins can increase. But this is from the field of fantasy I think
 
I checked all 4 needles and float they work correctly. checked all the channels in the carburetor housing. looked through and blew all the jets. synchronized all 4 carburetors.
I repeated the procedure 3 times already. I don’t know what to do anymore.
one spe******t said that the diameter of the main jet can increase, but I can hardly believe it
 
You shouldn't!

I 'vise test' my carbs before reinstalling them. To wit: Clamp it in the vise, connect a tank, and pump the HELL out of the bulb. If it leaks, drop the float a 1/16 of an inch and try again.

A properly set carb float level will not leak (though many will disagree with this.)

Jeff
 
Serial # of this motor is ?-------Is there a thermostat that might need inspection ?-----Compression numbers ?-----Is it a 4 stroke motor ?
 
But from wich place it can take so much gasoline i cant understand . I am only begining to belive about increasing hole of main jet.
 
Back
Top