Logo

Mercruiser 7.4L RPM spikes

cparton7

Hi, hoping someone has had this issue and can help. I have a '91 Maxum 2400 sport cuddy with a mercruiser 7.4L with a Bravo I drive. The other day I was cruising at approx. 30 mph and noticed the rpm's would spike up from about 3000 to 3500-3800 for a split second and then go back to 3000. This would happen intermittently every couple minutes on a twenty minute drive. Then as I slowed to enter the marina it needed 2000 rpm's to do 10mph. At the slip the rpm's stayed at 1000 and wouldn't drop to normal idle (600-700). When I shut the engine off and started it back up the rpms were normal. What would cause this? Dirty carb? vacuum leak? Loose tach wire? Bad tach gauge? Stretched throttle cable? I thought maybe my hub was slipping or it was prop wash until I put it into neutral at the slip and the rpms stayed at 1000-1100. Engine is a through prop exhaust so its not loud. I don't think I hear the engine rev as the rpm's spike. Engine seems to be running fine, no labouring or stalling or backfiring at any rpms. Starts fine. I don't beat it, only get it over 4000 rpm's once or twice a season for couple minutes to blow out the cobwebs otherwise it runs around 3000-3500 at 30-35mph. Engine only has 239 original hrs on it according to the meter (seems impossible yes ) I'm not discounting that's inaccurate but seems to be working. We do mostly drift down the river All other gauges read normal, temp good, oil good, battery good. Its professionally winterized every year. I understand because of its age other things might start to go like wiring harnesses and cables and gaskets/seals, hoses etc Everything appears to look fine. No visible cracks in any hoses, I don't hear any hissing anywhere. We did get into some weeds last year and the intake got clogged and cause the temp to rise fast and I burned the rubber off one of my flappers. That rattles a bit now but they didn't see any remnants in my exhaust when it was winterized last year. Any ideas or comments are welcomed
Thanks

When the tach indication went up, did the revs as well (by your ear)?

Jeff

I stand up usually when I'm driving so there's a lot of wind noise but I'm pretty sure I don't hear the motor revving in sync with the tach. I know the speed ( mph ) is not changing

Thanks for the reply

CP

I just had this with one of my 4 cylinder engines. I searched on line for possible solutions and found everything from a bad tach to bad ignition module. There were a lot of posts about a selector switch on the tach for 4,6 or 8 cylinders. Moving the switch back and forth cleared bad connections. Mine turned out to be an easy fix. It turned out to be a loose wire on the +be of the coil.

Back