Logo

Mercruiser 4cyl. outdrives cut out under any load. Advice

Hannah Murphy

New member
Hello All,

Before storing my boat for the season, I treated the gas with a stabilizer. I have Mercruiser 4cyl. outdrives, the boat will start most of the time but under load it cuts out or runs very poorly. I believe my gas has gone bad, is there a way that I can refresh the gas since it was stabilized before storage or is it best to start fresh?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Steve
 
I wouldn't think it would go bad enough to cause problem like that, but I'm also new to outboards, hah. Just make sure all plugs are getting spark, could be time for a carb kit if they are. Blockage in the carb might not let sufficient fuel in to operate under load.

i just rebuilt my own motor & took it out, had no power under load and stalled at times when idling or going into gear, my carbs definitely weren't helping as the float bowl gaskets were old, cracked, and leaking, but the real problem was it was only running on 2 cylinders due to cylinder 3 & 4 getting no spark. There is now a nightmare of things I think I may have to replace. Anyways, figured I'd share, maybe it will help & maybe it won't, best of luck to you though!
 
No known additive can cure "white gook", which is what forms when ethanol gas and moisture meet. And no filter/ water separator will remove it from the gas. The only solution is pumping ALL the gas out. With it sitting still overnight, and not disturbed, one can gently pull off the top 3/4 of the gas and safely reuse it.

Jeff

PS: This is the outboard site, by the way.
 

Attachments

  • Gook.JPG
    Gook.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top