Logo

Mercruiser 3.0L Points to DEI Engine

wildrizzo88

I have a 99 Bayliner with a Mercruiser 3.0L points ignition that threw a rod through the side of the block. I found an engine but it is slightly newer and has Digital Electronic Ignition. Question is should this boat engine bolt up and be plug n play or would it need additional wiring for the ignition control module?

you will have to define "digital electronic ignition"...

If you meant to say "DDIS", that system pre-dates your engine (assuming its original ~ 1999), I'd suggest staying away from that ignition as getting those parts has become a real challenge...that said, if the engine is in good shape and at a reasonable price, you could get it and put the newer EST distributor in it...or just get your original distributor checked/rebuilt and use it...

I have a 99 Bayliner with a Mercruiser 3.0L points ignition that threw a rod through the side of the block. I found an engine but it is slightly newer and has Digital Electronic Ignition. Question is should this boat engine bolt up and be plug n play or would it need additional wiring for the ignition control module?
Are you sure you have points I believe a 99 would have had a Delco est if it was the original engine.

Either way are you looking at complete engines with harnesses if so they will be plug and play

Worst case strip your accessories off your dead long block and swap them over

As mako mentioned they offered DEI which I believe is the delco EST and also the DDIS which was distributor less. I had a 91 with DDIS worked great for 20 years until I sold the boat. Merc only used it a few years and all
Parts are NLA so the go to is to replace with a delco EST.

Are you sure you have points I believe a 99 would have had a Delco est if it was the original engine.

Either way are you looking at complete engines with harnesses if so they will be plug and play

Worst case strip your accessories off your dead long block and swap them over

As mako mentioned they offered DEI which I believe is the delco EST and also the DDIS which was distributor less. I had a 91 with DDIS worked great for 20 years until I sold the boat. Merc only used it a few years and all
Parts are NLA so the go to is to replace with a delco EST.
Ok, I was mistaken, I do currently have electronic ignition. Attached is photos of what I have a what I can get in excellent condition. Engine comes in good running condition with harnesses on it. I just wasn’t sure if the boat side wiring would be the same.

Attachments

• IMG_5591.jpeg
    IMG_5591.jpeg
    896.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5590.jpeg
    IMG_5590.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5589.jpeg
    IMG_5589.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 10
The pic shows the EST distributor....as long as you use the harness from the new engine, you should be fine...

Ok, I was mistaken, I do currently have electronic ignition. Attached is photos of what I have a what I can get in excellent condition. Engine comes in good running condition with harnesses on it. I just wasn’t sure if the boat side wiring would be the same.
Yes all of them use the same cannon plug boat harness => engine harness. Obviously some exceptions with more modern DTS controls but plug and play with the rest

Back