Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 Timing Cover Alignment.

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

When replacing a 3.0 liter Mercruiser timing gear cover do you use a dummy tool in place of the balancer to center the cover? I think I may put the balancer on then tighten the bolts I can access, pull the balancer off real quick and tighten the remaining bolts. I only have a short period of time to do this as I will likely be using Permatex's The Right Stuff. Is this necessary or is it overkill ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jon Allen

Hi Chris

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using the Righr Stuff to seal the bottom of the cover to the oil pan. Engine is in the boat and the section of oil pan gskt that seals the cover has been cut away flush with the front of the block. Wasn't sure if this method of replacement requires a different approach.

Thanks
Jon

If gasket is missing I would say a big 3/8" deep RTV to replace missing gasket area, tighten ........let cure and should be good to go.

Hi Guys

Thanks Jack and Chris for your expertise regarding my timing cover situation. I have said it before and I will say it once more. This is one of the best forums out there because of people like you. I know both of you are Pros and it is super nice of both of you to take the time to help out us novices.

Thank You
Jon Allen

I will be removing/installing timing gear cover on my 89 Merc 3.0l soon....so, you guys are saying the "special alignment" tool is not needed??

Sounds logical enough...snug the bolts you can get access too, then remove harmonic balancer and torque them down...no need for special tool?!?!?!

Before removing timing cover, Get a timing light, start engine and see where your current idle timing is.

Say 6-8 degrees BTDC.

Make a mark somewhere on the block in WHITE and if it is not there already on the timing tab. Try to make it as thin as possible. say 1/16" white grease pencil would work or even chalk but it may wipe away

After installing new cover confirm idle timing is in the same place. If Not then make a mark on the NEW timing tab to where it should be. Done!!

Hi Skeeter

I just completed my cover install. I tapped the balancer on just enough to center the seal, at that point you can still tighten all of the bolts. Then drive the balancer on all the way or at least until your belt pulleys align. I got my cover through Mercruiser and even though the cover/ timing tab was identical to the cover I removed, the instructions talk about finding TDC and making a new mark? Seems odd. Also I can't imagine that hitting the balancer on with a heavy hammer is good for the crank and the thrust bearing. I have heard that some people have drilled and tapped the crank snout so that they can pull the balancer on with a bolt.

Hope this helps
Jon Allen

Last edited:
I need to clarify my previous post:

I am having to replace my camshaft....so i will be removing and reinstalling my same timing cover...not purchase a new one. So, my timing marks should be the same...i will be making plenty of "reference" marks before removing all pertinent items.

Jon...do i need a special tool to re-install balancer?? what method did you use? hammer, tap & bolt, etc etc???

I do have a generic harmonic balancer puller....i am just trying to do this camshaft replacement on a super-tight budget....so i am trying to avoid purchasing any "unnecessary" tools!

I am having to replace my camshaft....so i will be removing and reinstalling my same timing cover...not purchase a new one. So, my timing marks should be the same...i will be making plenty of "reference" marks before removing all pertinent items.

Jon...do i need a special tool to re-install balancer?? what method did you use? hammer, tap & bolt, etc etc???

I do have a generic harmonic balancer puller....i am just trying to do this camshaft replacement on a super-tight budget....so i am trying to avoid purchasing any "unnecessary" tools!

Your local chain auto parts store should have a balancer installer to rent....No hammers.

Your local chain auto parts store should have a balancer installer to rent....No hammers.

Hi Skeeter,

My 3.0 Litre did not have a threaded crank snout. So I could not use the install tool that I have. There may be one out there that I am not aware of which works on a non threaded crank. I tapped my balancer on with a 4 lb hammer using a block of wood to protect the balancer, keeping a close eye on the pulley alignment. I did not want to drive it on too far and alter the pulley alignment.

Good Luck
Jon Allen

buy dry ice, pack the crankshaft spindle w dry ice. put the new balancer in boiling water. let crank spindle cool and balancer heat for 20 minutes. place balancer on w oven mits. have block of wood ready, tap on w hammer. my oem balancer for a mercruiser 3.0 went all the way on with 7 hammer taps. use dry ice.

Back