Logo

Merc Classic 50 walbro carb drip.. whats this and why?

rocknroj

Contributing Member
Good day and thanks for reading.

Been dealing with a fuel drip on my 1985 4 cylinder 50 with walbro carbs for a long time. Got a new inspection camera and took a look. Pics attached.

Is Float level setting off letting too much fuel into the bowl before it closes the needle?

How does the level of fuel in the bowl affect operation? Does too much fuel make it run too rich?

I have taken these carbs out and cleaned them, replaced gaskets etc several time always with the same results. I do not undertand the whole measuring thing and were to take the measurments from. Is the needle is supposed to close off the fuel just before the float is parallel to the carb body?
 

Attachments

  • upper_carb_drip.JPG
    upper_carb_drip.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 41
  • lower_carb_drip.JPG
    lower_carb_drip.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
I bought an oem needle and float online and this paper came with it might help you. I have a WMA on my 85 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke.
 
Can’t get the image to upload but it says for WMA 0.280 - 0.320 inches should be your float height from where the bowl gasket sits. Make sure the carb is flipped upside down too when measuring.
 
Can’t get the image to upload but it says for WMA 0.280 - 0.320 inches should be your float height from where the bowl gasket sits. Make sure the carb is flipped upside down too when measuring.
Resize your image to under 1Mb. Also, I think you have to have 6 posts before allowed photos. Just reply 4 more times with “test” as your post.
 
I’ve been having the same issue with overflow and after setting it to the height the paper said it did not work. When I attached the carb to the fuel line and primed it fuel came easily spitting out the choke and valve above it. I would not recommend setting it from 0.28 - 0.32
 
Back
Top