Logo

Merc 6hp water in cylinders

chris_holt

Contributing Member
"we have a merc 6 at the shop

"we have a merc 6 at the shop that has very few hours on it and is creating water/oil sludge in the cylinders, the exhaust manifold, and the ports. The power head has been removed, the gaskets replaced, and the crank seal is clean and not milky. We are at a loss as to how water can enter both cylinders below where there is even water cooling in the cylinders. The carb and reeds are clean and we can make the engine run on fresh plugs for approx. 2 mins. and then it quits and the plugs are coated with milky sludge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

"Since you are using plurals h

"Since you are using plurals here (cylinder(s), plug(s)) I assume you are talking about a twin 2 stroke 6.

If so, it sounds like your exhaust plate is all clogged up.

The plate on the 6 doesn't have an exhaust tube, but instead just a 3/4" hole (if I'm remembering right) for exhaust/water and a couple other water relief holes in the plate.

It sounds very much like these are crudded up with carbon, minerals, salt - something that is causing the water trying to leave the jackets to back up through the exhaust manifold and into the cylinders.

If the water can't exit into the exhaust housing at the rate it's flowing it's going to go somewhere, and up is kinda the only way left...

(that's my guess)
"

"We changed gaskets again toda

"We changed gaskets again today, and cleaned the exhaust plate and ports yet again. This time we got ten minutes of running untill it plugged up again. This makes no sense to any of the mechanics here or any other shop we have talked to. It seems to be a black hole or vortex in the space continuum causing water to appear where it is impossible to show up. I hate telling a customer that we can not fix his barely used motor, and we have no idea what is wrong with it."

Back