Logo

Merc 470 rebuilds?

20miler

Contributing Member
Hello all -

Well I found my piston was seriously scored beyond restoration :eek:and I wonder if anyone is familiar enough with the 470 to let me know what replacement engine pitfalls / options I might encounter. I have a jitney to get it in... and wonder if all 470s can mate the same way to other years? Etc... Another post warned against a repower with a 3.0 lacking HP. Some 470 s LOOK different to me in terms of exhaust angle and the "log"...

Any thoughts or reputable rebuilds on the West Coast (Seattle?)

I posted on your other post. US engines in Kent, WA.

http://usengine.us/mercruiser.html

Around $2000 long block with a warranty. If you're using your old manifolds it should bolt up. I don't think they changed input shaft styles on those engines.

WHat kind of boat you got 20miler? Your avatar looks like a 2050 Bayliner Explorer.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a 26 Olympic. I found a "rebuilt" 470 and want to know how to accurately verify that it really was rebuilt. What can I do? Also, it was never started and has sat for a year. What are my considerations?

Nice boat. I go fishing out of Homer AK on an Olympic 26. That one has a 4.3L in it and I'm always suprised at his performance and fuel mileage. We cruise 20 -22 KPH and burn about 10 GPH. Handles rough water nice too.

The first thing in order is a compression test but it's tough to do without a starter motor. You can hand crank it off the crank bolt with a big ratchet. Make sure the spark plugs out all out. Turn the same amount of cranks per cylinder. You do a visual over by taking the oil pan off. Other than that if it doesn't come with a warranty from a good shop there are always chances. Did you find the block off of craigslist?

Last edited:
Yes I did. And it has never been fired. I guess I could do a compression test and that could tell me SOMETHING. I was hoping there was a sure way to tell it was rebuilt. he doesnt even have receipts or anything

You would think that someone who went to the trouble and expense of rebuilding a motor would have some evidence of the work that was done. Can he give you the name of the machine shop that did the machining?
I know that I spent over $2,000 doing mine and saved every recept that I got.
Proceed with caution!
The 470's are great motors and seem to run forever. You might be as well served to redo yours. At least you know it's history.

Back