Brandon465
New member
I have a 2012 20” Stingray with a Mercruiser 4.3 TKS (carbureted) stern drive. The boat is new to me but seems extremely well cared for.
I am noticing some power loss when slowly advancing the throttle from stop to around 2000 rpms. As I slowly inch the throttle forward, the boat accelerates normally but as I continue to advance the throttle I find places where I’ll lose rpms and power. A little more throttle, more power, but a little more throttle and a power loss again. The power loss is not complete but is definitely noticeable. At certain places along the throttle I’ll get some rpm wobble without even moving the throttle. It has stalled once during one of these power losses but in general does not cause the engine to stall. It will do this up until about 2000 rpms and then everything is fine and there are no more power losses.
I only experience this when accelerating slowly up to about 2000 rpms. I can push the throttle immediately from stop to 3000 rpms and don’t notice any power loss and accelerate very quickly, no problems. Full throttle, the boat goes upwards of 50mph without issue. There are no issues at idle. My current fix is just avoiding those rpm ranges but obviously that means I can’t travel in the 10 to 20 mph range without experiencing weird power losses.
What could be going on here? Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to clarify.
Thanks,
B. Smith
I am noticing some power loss when slowly advancing the throttle from stop to around 2000 rpms. As I slowly inch the throttle forward, the boat accelerates normally but as I continue to advance the throttle I find places where I’ll lose rpms and power. A little more throttle, more power, but a little more throttle and a power loss again. The power loss is not complete but is definitely noticeable. At certain places along the throttle I’ll get some rpm wobble without even moving the throttle. It has stalled once during one of these power losses but in general does not cause the engine to stall. It will do this up until about 2000 rpms and then everything is fine and there are no more power losses.
I only experience this when accelerating slowly up to about 2000 rpms. I can push the throttle immediately from stop to 3000 rpms and don’t notice any power loss and accelerate very quickly, no problems. Full throttle, the boat goes upwards of 50mph without issue. There are no issues at idle. My current fix is just avoiding those rpm ranges but obviously that means I can’t travel in the 10 to 20 mph range without experiencing weird power losses.
What could be going on here? Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to clarify.
Thanks,
B. Smith

