Logo

Merc 30L more problems

delster

" Hi guys, hope someone can he

" Hi guys, hope someone can help. I have a 3.0l merc engine, which runs great for half an hour, then starts missing. I have changed the plugs, points, coil, plug leads and thermostat. I have also checked the distributer cap, fuel lines and timing. If I leave the boat for a bit, it runs great again, but only to start failing after another half hour. Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Many thanks

Derek "

" When you change the points,

" When you change the points, you should also change the condensor, rotor and cap. If this doesnt fix the problem, check your wire harness connector (purple wire at the plug and at the key switch). Another item to check is your tachometer.
If it is malfunctioning it will cause a short at the coil. Try disconnecting its gray wire on the negative side of the coil.
Dania Marine - 1-800-748-7739
thanks, Gabriel "

The ignition switch is rarely

The ignition switch is rarely a problem but they go bad more often in older cars and boats.Make sure you have a good connection where the ground attaches to the engine block. Check for bad battery cables. Check the battery for problems. Sediment at the bottom of the battery can shift with movement causing intermitant shorting.
Eddie

Back