Logo

Merc 260 wiring question

79century

"ok, i know there are tons of

"ok, i know there are tons of threads with wiring diagram links, but none seem to exactly fit my application. mine is an old 79' 898 outdrive. merc. 260 with elect. choke, 2bbl rochester carb. i already hooked up the orange wire to the oil pressure sender. i'm pretty sure the green wire goes to the temp. sender. my choke wire is identified. (i can't remember what color it was, but it ain't my problem.) the ones i'm not sure of are as follows:

2 brown wires that go to the same crimp connector from harness

2 light beige wires that go to the same crimp connector from harness.

1 purple wire.

1 black wire.

-these all must deal with the coil and dist. and i'm pretty sure the black is equppment ground."

2 brown wires that go to the s

2 brown wires that go to the same crimp connector from harness. From the plug one goes to the neg. side of the coil where it is met w/the other one that goes to the shift interrupt bracket terminal block where it meets the switch's brown wire.

2 light beige wires that go to the same crimp connector from harness. There is a tan wire that runs between the starter solenoid and the plus side of the coil to provide 12 vdc during starting. At the coil it attaches to the resistance wire (color unlisted) which connects to the white choke 12 vdc wire which is how the coill gets its 9 vdc when the engine is running.

1 purple wire. This wire is not used--tape it.

1 black wire. Ground wire; diagram shows a black wire going to the shift bracket terminal block where it meets w/ a black grounding wire for the switch.

Back