Logo

Merc 1000 outboard

Jon Blair

Howdieeeeeeeeee I recently went and bought a project boat 1969 15' Stevens v hull in need of restoration the seller originally told me just the boat but not the motor. Well going to pick it up we had to replace a tire on the dilly trailer (I think) and asked how much longer for him to remove the motor, because I was really needing to get back. A 4 hr drive he said 50 bucks and we will leave it on there! It ran he said last time they had it in the water which was several years ago. I'm pretty sure it was not winterized or any thing question is what is it worth running or not running, and myself being the first boat I have ever owned and know nothing about it, how would I go about seeing if the motor is any good? Thanks any help is appreciated. The closest big town I am around is Ft Smith Ar not sure if anyone close is a boat mechanic.

Hi Jon, A lot of folks on this forum will tell you to take it to the nearest metal recyclers,me,I like old Mercs.:DYou can expect to spend a lot of $'s
What year is the engine? Post number
Here's what I would do,if I have made up my mind to save her
1,Pull the plugs and turn flywheel CW by hand.
2,If you can turn the flywheel by hand,spray in some fogging oil,turn it again a dozen or so times.Let it soak awhile.
3,While it's soaking,check the wiring,clean the grounds and tighten them.
4,Drop the lower unit,check the drive splines see if the crank end is corroded or not.
5,Now that she has soaked,hook her up,turn her over and check compression.You'll not get a true reading because of the fogging oil,but if the numbers are close down the line and around 120PSI.It's up to you if you want to keep going 'til you get her up and running.You'll have noticed I said nothing about the impeller,you'll be changing that as standard maintenance .
Or: just take a chance,hook her up and see if she'll turn over,have a compression gauge handy for testing.

Or: Break her and sell the parts on ebay. Distributor will get the $50 back if it's serviceable.

Well I just got the serial # 1768565 I was assuming it was the original motor for the boat a 69. I pulled the cowling off and it looks real clean for sitting for several years. I will have to wait a bit to do what u have told me because I don't have a compression tester and only have an assumption on how to use it but the dude I bought it from told me to replace the wiring harness before I try and start it because he tending to thing it was rotting out i did see videos online on how to do this and plan on attempting it before I get that far. So most people would tell me that a motor that old is worth about the $50 I paid running or not that kinda sucks hoping I got a Diamond in the rough to be honest.

Ok,that number makes it a '65. $50 isn't a bad price to pay if you intend to get it up and running.My first love :D sorry outboard and still my favorite is a 1969Merc800 which I bought only because the guy selling the boat wouldn't split the boat and trailer.Which I totally rebuilt,inside and out.The Merc800 that is.
What I said in my last post is what I would do,and if I had that motor I would give it a go,but I'm a little nuts like that.
The first thing is the compression test. Screw in the tester,turn her over until the indicator on the tester stops moving,tree or four turns usually enough.If the numbers are not good,then you have to think about the $'s it's going to take to get her up and running. I got away with new rings,a honing,seals and bearings,and to be truthful,I only did them all because I had her open to see what made her tick.
Merc wiring around this age is more than likely to be rotten,though I cleaned the wire back to the good,soldered in fresh wire and heat shrunk covered it.
It's going to be worth more if you can get it running correctly and if the compression is good,rebuild the carbs, fuel pumps,water pump,replace plugs and give her a twirl.That would be normal maintenance any way on an old motor.
A guyon this forum once repaired a harness by splitting the plug,soldering in the new wire to the pins and epoxy it back together.Go for it and curse me later:D

LOL I just got off the phone with a guy in the area that works on them he told me $85 bucks to to the compression tests and stuff to see if its worth the go or not then I asked ball park he said like u did that carbs needed to be done that was a 100.00 a pop there is 3 carbs that I saw various other stuff I point blank asked if I put 500.00 800.00 in it is it worth it and he said really its not so kinda torn which way to go to be honest.

If you are anyway mechanically minded or just for the hell of it,get a manual,this site sells them,$30 or there abouts.Buy the kits online,here as well I think,if not there's www.oldmercs.com ,www.dougrussell.com .Recyclers aplenty.I wish I lived on your side of the Atlantic. You can buy a compression tester for little and DIY it. http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3614-Compression-Tester-Piece/dp/B000EVU8JS . http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/seloc/mercury.html for the manual. http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/400.cfm this is a '66 but there will not be a big difference. Also johnsoldmercurysite.com and I better go to work. Good luck

These old motors were really well built.-----------Reality------ it is an old motor and the mechanic's shop time " is all brand new "---he has to charge you the same as if he was doing maintenace on a much newer motor.---------------If you take the time and learn how to work on this " tower of power " then every hr on the water will put a smile on your face.------There is nothing like the " wow factor " at the ramp when one of those fires up , and folks will come over to compliment.-----------Nobody bats an eye at the " rich folk " with the foreign made stuff.

Thanks guys I think im going to tackle it first off I got to rewire the electrical harnesses and get the boat cleaned up and looking good then tackle that motor I did talk to an ole country boy boat mechanic actually in the next town over much better than the salesman at the other place with his help and yall's I think I can do this, thanks a bunch guys and I will keep you posted on the progress and of course asking a million questions along the way!

Back