Logo

Mariner Yamaha identification please.

Muppet

Hi all,
Google showed me a great thread on here where you helped someone with a mariner Yamaha find his year model etc.

I am hoping you can do the same for me.

It's a 30hp 2 stroke with a mariner plate on the transom bracket, everything else is marked Yamaha, even the cowling stickers ( which were probably swapped) , its long shaft 20inch , electric and pull start, carby, foward control

Hopefully picture attaches.

30ml
689 L 324683
K
The k is stamped into black area bottom right corner.

Thanks all information welcomed , good bad what ever and also links to workshop manuals would be excellent.

Attachments

• _20220526_201450.jpg
    _20220526_201450.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 25
I just found a chart and my serial number is in the range for a 30A ML (1985), is it likely to not have the A like my picture ?
To make that more interesting K is 1985 in Yamaha serial numbers and mine has the K in the black area.

Being in Australia Yamaha is alot easier for parts ordering ,what model/year would it be in Yamaha ?

Last edited:
Hi all,
Google showed me a great thread on here where you helped someone with a mariner Yamaha find his year model etc.

I am hoping you can do the same for me.

It's a 30hp 2 stroke with a mariner plate on the transom bracket, everything else is marked Yamaha, even the cowling stickers ( which were probably swapped) , its long shaft 20inch , electric and pull start, carby, foward control

Hopefully picture attaches.

30ml
689 L 324683
K
The k is stamped into black area bottom right corner.

Thanks all information welcomed , good bad what ever and also links to workshop manuals would be excellent.
Linked below is your complete engine and drive schematics. I attached a screen shot of the Mercury/Mariner model guide. It appears that it may be around a 1988. Take a look at the screen shot.

Mariner 30A Outboard Motor Parts

Attachments

• mariner.jpg
    mariner.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 6
Thank for the reply .
Should I be worried that if is a mercury/mariner chart when all the cast marks on mine have yamaha on them ?
The chart does fit my motors 30ml and serial number to be a 1989.
The good news is the parts list goes from 1986 to 1990 without changing.

I would be more apt to follow a Yamaha chart for a Yamaha produced motor than a Mercury/Mariner chart for a Yamaha produced motor.

A Yamaha chart indicates the PID shown in post number one is a 1986 model year motor.

If it were my motor I would get the markings from the CDI assembly. Then see if those markings match up with the part number shown for a 1986 model year Yamaha 30 HP two stroke. Then use that parts catalog for obtaining whatever parts can be found today.

Thanks Boscoe , I will check that and post it asap. Can you translate it if i post it ?
My gut believes its a 1985 model due to there being a K punched into the bottom right corner of the serial number plate in the blacked out area.
On block where YF is cast there is the number 68900 , does that have any relevance?

I have to replace the bottom anti vibe mounts and want to get the year right as there's none in stock in Australia.

On part 13 in your diagram all I could find was 5513 and the Mitsubishi logo,
On part 14 I found 689-01,
On the carby all I could see without pulling things to bits was tieke japan,
On the twin coil there was F6T 421 71 54

The numbers that you found on the CDI holder agree with the part number that is shown in the Yamaha US 1985 parts catalog. See snippet from the parts catalog page below.

You might want to review the parts catalog in its entirety to see if the depictions of the parts match up what you physically can see by viewing the motor itself. The parts catalog is available for free at www.yamahaoutboards.com

A 1985 30 HP service manual is available from www.yamahapubs.com or any Yamaha USA dealer. The e edition can be had for not a lot of money if you want to inspect it to see if it is applicable to your particular motor.

1.png

Back