Logo

mariner outboard

That is a 1978 model. The 28's, which were built 100% by Yamaha, for Mercury, were completely discontinued in 1979.

The actual motor was a carbon copy of Yamaha's own model 25B which was originally introduced as the model 28A. The model run went from 1974 to 1979, so Yami scrapped both their version and the Mariner version the same year.

Parts are extremely difficult to come by for this model - just about everything is long discontinued and sold out. You CAN NOT get a carb kit or waterpump kit for this. Impellers are still available, but even simple things like the idle screw for the carb are nowhere in sight.

If it's running and you want to keep it that way you best look after it. I don't mean baby it, but run fresh, stablized gas all the time and don't be afraid to throw in a pair on new sparkplugs once a season. If you toast the carb you will have nothing more than about 20 bucks worth of scrap aluminum, that resembles an outboard, on your hands.

(should have added)

If seeking parts from Merc, you simply have a Model 28 Mariner. You would need the rest of your serial which starts 664- (then your 5.....) - the 664 identifies it as a Yamaha model 25B for parts purposes..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Mariner 28e.You were Very helpful. The motor runs great after cleaning carb. but I only get a trickle of water out of the " pee" hole so I stuck a small piece of wire in the hole hopeing that it was clogged, I got a little more water to come out but not nearly enough. So I decided that the impeller was probably bad. But when I started taking the foot off I noticed a linkage running down the front of the motor about even with the water pump impeller,it looks to be some kind of adjustment for forward,reverse etc. My question now is, do I take that linkage loose there ( about even with the impeller housing ? Or does it come loose in another place ? Thank you very much for your help !!!

Back