Logo

Mariner outboard have start problems

Rune Ellingsen

hello.

my mariner 60hp 1994 have gone for a swim in salt water.
i have flushed the cylinder and carburetor with fresh water and then cleaning solution.
checked the electric wires. and all seems ok.

but it wont start on idle. i have to give it some rpm to get it to start. and it is running rough. i can't run at idle. it just dies.
at full rpm it dies. i have to find the sweet rpm spot to make it run in neutral.

i have a feeling that the solenoid choke is stuck open. could this create these type of problems?

the solenoid is nr 29 in picture.

Skjermbilde 2015-12-19 kl. 16.44.45.jpg

thank you. will order a new one and see if that solves the problem. i can also just disconnect the fuel that goes to the solenoid vale and check if that helps.

all the spark plugs have spark. can i rule out the electrical system? or could it be a problem with a component? (stator,coil,cdi.........)

..." i can also just disconnect the fuel that goes to the solenoid vale and check if that helps."

That's the first thing I'd try. Get it started first, however.

Jeff

Thanx. The solenoid looked ok. no extra fule spitting out when it runs.

got it to run for 30min at low rpm in neutral.
if you see the pictures bottom cylinder(3) is to the left, and top cylinder(1) is to the right.
Before and 30min 4 run, and after pictures. it seems that 1,3 cylinder get to much fuel or nr 2 cylinder get to little.
any ideas?

before30minrun.jpg30minrun.jpg

You need to do a compression test.------What are the values ?------------Test and see if spark will jump a gap of 1 cm on all leads.----------Hpw long did the motor swim ?----Any chance that debris got into the reed valves ?---------How long did the motor sit after recovery to the time it ran again ?---------Does primer bulb go hard when you operate it , yes or no.

The damage may already be done. If salt got into the crankcase the only way to remove it is to tear it down completely and clean and inspect all the internals. The sooner the better.

the engine was under 2 days. i flushed the cylinder with fresh water and turned the fly wheel.
the oil autolube system goes first in the crank case and then in to the cylinders to burn off.
if there is water in the crank case. then the spark plugs should be milky white.

Back