Logo

Mariner 99 ser number breakdown

"Ok now that I bought a 9.9 Ma

"Ok now that I bought a 9.9 Mariner I want to verify the year etc, but these Merc numbers are a bit confusing. I see this question alot but I will ask once again!! Can you help with my make and year? Serial# 682 CL313941. It evidently is a Japanese model not a yamaha built, I think. Or is "made in japan" on the tag mean from Yamaha?Thanks for any help...."

"No Joe, that is a Yamaha buil

"No Joe, that is a Yamaha built Mariner. A 1980 model.

Yamaha, under contract with Merc, built and distributed the Mariner line for a good number of years.

Yamaha additionally produced just about all of the powerheads and gear sets for Merc, which Merc used to build their own line of engines.

The 682 is the Yami model number which means that your particular motor is based on (pretty much the same) as Yamaha's Model 9.9B which they produced in 1978 (which would have sold as a Yamaha)...."

"Thanks for the info Graham, I

"Thanks for the info Graham, I guess I knew it wasnt a 1995 like the guy I bought it from told me it was. But I didnt think it was that old."

"HI GRAHAM
I,M IN THE UK,AND

"HI GRAHAM
I,M IN THE UK,AND I JUST BOUGHT 8 H.P MARINER.EVERY TIME I GO FOR PARTS I,M ASKED THE YEAR.MAYBE YOU CAN HELP.IT SAYS 8M THEN 677 S 054026.IS THE S THE LENGTH OF THE SHAFT I.E SHORT OR STANDARD ?AND THE M FOR MANUAL? IT SAYS MADE IN JAPAN FOR MARINER.ARE THEY A GOOD MOTOR OR DO THEY SUFFER PROBLEMS?WHO MADE IT?"

"Paul, that's a 1983, Yama

"Paul, that's a 1983, Yamaha built "B" model Mariner. The S indicates short (15") shaft, and the M is Manual (rope start).

Very well built motor although no longer made. It was an exact copy of Yamaha's own models 8B and E8D which began production in 1977...."

"HI GRAHAM ,PAUL HERE, THANKS

"HI GRAHAM ,PAUL HERE, THANKS FOR INFO.ONE MORE THING,WHEN I RUN MOTOR WATER TEMP OUT OF BLOCK IS ABOUT 40 c LOW SPEED / 50 c ON FULL THROTLE IT SEEMS VERY HOT, AROUND WATER PUMP EXIT IS QUITE HOT AS WELL (BLOCK HEATS UP AROUND THIS AREA ) IT PUMPS WELL AND I,VE REPLACED THE WHOLE PUMP.HALF WAY DOWN THE LEG THERE ARE TWO HOLES WHICH ARE MEANT TO EXHAUST WITH WATER ( NOT MUCH COMES OUT )COULD THESE BE BLOCKED.IT ALSO SMOKES A BIT(WITH 100 :1 MIX ). I HAVED CHANGED PLUGS .WAS THINKING THE LAST GUY MAY HAVE BEEN RUNNING IT WITH BAD PUMP .COULD THIS HAVE CAUSED MAYBE HEADGASKET FAILURE? OR COULD THE MIXTURE BE OUT ?"

"Paul, the operating temp for

"Paul, the operating temp for these motors is up above 130 F, so at 50 celcuius (about 122 F) it sounds more than fine.

You should however be running it at 50:1

Those two holes are "weep" holes, so while they should weep or "spit" if you like, do not expect a strong kinda flow such as you would see on a motor with a tell-tale..."

You sound like the expert here

You sound like the expert here Graham

I've got a 9.8 Mercury outboard trying to determine the year. Serial number a700482 but when I reference the serial number guide it looks like an 8hp.Any ideas

Back