Logo

Mariner 8 hp water inlet pee hole? Year model.

genhinds

New member
hi all

I got a new (old) mariner 8 hp over the weekend. The serial number on the plate riveted to the bracket says "647-L 6773 Made in Japan" - another plate on the other side says "made for Mariner Motor Co Fond Du Lac Wisconsin"

I am wanting to know the year model if anyone knows? Also where is the water intake and does it have a pee hole outlet? The guy had it running in a deep barrel and I would like to run it with muffs if I can...

My inquiries suggest this motor was made by Yamaha - do I need to get parts from Yamaha or Mariner?

Cheers
 
It appears that this engine was made by Yamaha in the early 70's. It has a plug near the top gear oil plug that says "WASH" this is some sort of water inlet for flushing. I was able, while running the engine with the garden hose hooked up to this inlet to have water come out the pee hole (in the middle of the back of the unit) but without the pressure of the hose no water was pumping.
Looks like it needs a new impeller - does anyone know of a good "how to" video or site? Does anyone know where I could get the part for this motor?

cheers
 
I'm not totally sure what you have here.

It definately is Yamaha built and "partwise" it's a 1971 or 72 Yamaha 8 horse model P165 (referred to as a model "8A" Mariner).

The problem I'm having is that Merc didn't actually market this model until 1974 and the serials started 655-xxxxx

647 was the Yami production code for the P165 and they changed the code to 655 in 1972 when they scrapped the P165 and started selling the model 8A (Mariner 1974 to mid 1977 and Yamaha models 1972 to 1977).

This leads to a dilema when trying to find parts or even a manual for this.

From the bit of research I have done on this it (sorta) appears that mechanically the p165 is the same as the 8A but there was a few differences. The 1971 P165 did not have a tell-tale which was added to the later models (at some point) - so there must be at least some minor differences.

Your safest bet would be to treat this motor as a P165, 8 horse Yamaha and not a Mariner at all (Merc has zero support, parts or otherwise for your exact model). That may give you the best chance of getting the right parts/manual for it.

At the very least, Yami parts are often considerably cheaper than Merc OEM parts...
 
Thanks so much for your response Graham! I have come to pretty much the same conclusion regarding considering this to be a yamaha. I am in Australia and from what I can tell the 647 models are found in Europe and Oz so unfortunately all the big (cheaper) parts suppliers in the US generally can't help. I bought two impellers today from ebay UK (I figured they were so hard to find I should have a spare) and then worked on cleaning out the thermostat opening where I found THERE IS NO THERMOSTAT? I did manage to get the waterpump pumping and there is a small hole in the middle under the lower cowl at the back where the water sprays out.

It looks like there is a space in the water cooling system at the back of the motor and once it fills it begins to spray out.

thanks heaps
 
Back
Top