Logo

Mariner 75 2Stroke Fuel problem

Davesee

Hello,

I have a 1997 Mariner 75 2 Stroke which runs great at anything over 2000 rpm, but when at low speed has started randomly cutting out. A quick squeeze on the primer bulb shows that the fuel line is empty and when primed again will start fine again.

There seems to be no pattern to when this happens, it might happen within a few minutes and then quickly again from then on, or it might not happen at all.

My guess was there was a fuel leak in the line pre pump, I have tried with a short new hose and the same problem (though I have not ruled out the fuel connector on the engine)

The engine runs fine usual speeds, but there is a speed limit for a while coming out of the mariner and it is not good news there

Does a fuel line air leak sound liked, or something more engine side?

Thanks johnnygjr,

The engine had a full service at the beginning of the summer, including the pump diaphragms. I've had a look and it seems fine, is there a better test?

In your first post you said fuel bulb and line was empty,when squeezed she fired up. Does primer bulb firm up before starting motor ? Post#2does issue go away when primer bulb is squeezed when engine is running? Recheck fuel system from inside of tank to carbs,lines, connections, filters, water/fuel separator,tighten all clamps. Has the fuel/water separator been dumped out and checked for water? Is ethanol gas being used? Fuel system could be gumming up causing this issue.Have you been running the engine dry of gas,pulling fuel line and running it out of fuel,helps to prevent gum varnish in fuel system

Hi johnnygjr,

Apologies for he delay in responding, Thankyou for your help.

The bulb firms up as expected before starting the engine, and when I feel the engine starting to starve, a few squeezes gets it firm again and the engine back on track.

If it was to be the fuel pump, what is the next step, it appears to be sound and the serviceable parts have been replaced...

thankyou

You have a fuel delivery issue, Since season started have you checked your filters,separator,lines,tank and fuel pressure at pump? Just because you changed pump diaphragms doesn't mean their working properly, It's possible there's no pulse being applied to diaphragm.

Back